We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totnes to ST. Austell by train

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
Totnes to ST. Austell by train

Hi,

does anybody knows if I can travel from Totnes to St. Austell via railway buying a ticket for Totnes-Plymouth, and then staying on the very same train using the Ride Cornwall ticket to cover the path from Plymouth to St. Austell?

I wanted to see the Heligan's Garden but the journey seems a little expensive from Totnes..

Thanks,

Marcella

5 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Totnes to ST. Austell by train

That should be OK, provided that you are able to purchase your Rde Cornwall ticket at Totnes - it may be that the only place that you can buy that ticket in Devon is at Plymouth Station.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
376 reviews
2. Re: Totnes to ST. Austell by train

Hi

You should be able to buy it at any station, or failing that on the train itself.

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/…details.html

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Totnes to ST. Austell by train

I agree that you should be able to do this in theory, but the ticket clerk in Totnes may not have heard about this ticket !

Just checking the train fares, a day return ticket from Totnes to St. Austell after 8.30 am appears to be £12.70, which doesn't seem particularly expensive for this journey (although I agree that a RC ticket will be the cheapest option when the bus fare to Helligan is added in).

Edited: 29 May 2011, 16:41
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
4. Re: Totnes to ST. Austell by train

Thanks for the replies.

In theory I should be able to purchase it directly on the train (I wrote FGW and they confirm me this)...which means basically that once arrived at the Plymouth stop, staying on the train, I should search for the ticket man and ask him for the Ride Cornwall ticket...

Any way, since the previous day I will be in both Exeter and Bath, I will double check at those stations firstly if they sell those tickets (if so I guess I will buy them there) and secondly if I can do as I would...

@Phil-the-bus: about the fares, I thought 12,70 £ was a single journey fare, not a return one..at least on the FGW site they say so.. (also, I couldn't find any return ticket buyable online...)

Thanks,

Marcella

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Totnes to ST. Austell by train

I can confirm that £12.70 is the return fare for an off peak day return. You can just buy it on the day if you want.

Reply to: Totnes to ST. Austell by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Totnes