We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

Paoli, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

Our traveling party of 7 (one toddler, 6 adults) will be arriving in Totnes via train from London (early July, arriving early afternoon). We will have about three hours to spend there before being picked up by friends we will be staying with in a nearby village. I want to make the most of our time there, so I am requesting restaurant recommendations (2 vegans, 1 vegetarian in the group) and suggestions for something to see/do to fully take in the very unique vibe in Totnes. Even if it is just to stroll through a certain area of town, I welcome your suggestions. I was there once a few years ago, and loved the feeling I experienced there! Thanks for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Paignton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

My favorite place to dine in Totnes is the Steam Packet Inn which is situated right on the river , it has a lovely outside seating area ,great views and is a great place to pick up the vibe.

http://www.steampacketinn.co.uk/

Totnes Town really only consists of the shops on the Plains and on the High Street. If you check out google maps you will get a better idea.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

Walk up the high street and towards the top is where you will find the more individual shops, Totnes prides itself of its individual coffee shops and restaurants many of which serve vegan food Just check out reviews in the normal way on here. With just a few hours and wanting to eat I would suggest sticking to just that area. If you are there on a Friday or Saturday they have lovely markets as well nearly at the top of the high street.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

A trip on the (steam) railway, to Buckfastleigh for lunch? Can't recommend as not used cafe, vegan not mentioned.

www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/food--drink

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Way to Spend a Few Hours

If you have veggies and vegans I highly recommend Seeds 2 or Willow. Wild Fig is my favourite place in Totnes but it does get very busy and only has four tables, so you might be lucky, you might not!

Reply to: Best Way to Spend a Few Hours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Totnes