We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
38 posts
One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

I will be in the Cotswolds in June. We will be travelling from Salisbury by rental car (after seeing Stonehenge) to the Cotswolds and staying two nights. So we have one full day to see some villages. I'm most interested in seeing pretty houses/views and walks (photography). I don't care much about shops or pubs. How many villages do I have time to see so we can enjoy ourselves and not just be in the car? 2 or 3 or? Which do you recommend and where is a good bed and breakfast to stay at? I really want to see Arlington Row in Bibury. We are in our 30s/40s. Thanks!

Edited: 10 November 2018, 16:29
6 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

This driving route passes through lovely countryside and a number of delightful villages such as the Slaughters, Temple Guiting, Stanton & Naunton. Most of these villages are very small so you could see several in a day.

There are plenty of places to stay in Stow-on-the-Wold & a B&B or pub with rooms the Slaughters.

Edited: 10 November 2018, 17:14
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

https://www.cotswolds.com/dbimgs/Cotswolds.T…

I think Andmar meant to give a link to this driving route, or one of the many variations. You will approach the area from the SE corner, Lechlade or Cirencester, devise your own route Northwards through Bibury to the Northern and better known towns/villages, probably via Bourton-on-the-Water. Then use the Red Route for your full day expedition.

the-cotswolds.org/top/… ... this is the more common link but it is unresponsive at present.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

Whoops! This was the one I meant to include!

https:/…broadway-to-broadway.shtml

It doesn't include Bibury but could be adapted to add it in.

Edited: 10 November 2018, 19:38
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
1,635 reviews
4. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

Alternatively,simply doing a tour of some selected villages

for instance,you could begin your tour at Castle Combe.This is called as perhaps our finest village and can be walked in an hour.Parking is available at the top end of the village in a large car park however we have always been able to park near the centre...this is a beautiful small unspoilt village and deserves to be at the top of your list.This is an estimated 40 miles/ 65kms drive from Salisbury and should not eat up too much of your time.

Bibury next,please attempt to arrive there as early as possible....we have visited on about a dozen previous occasions and it can become very busy after 8.30 am with coaches of tourists.

Incidentally why dont you kill two birds with one stone and book your accommodation at The Catherine Wheel at Bibury,we have never stayed but have eaten there on several occasions.

It is a 3 minutes walk to Arlington Row (you may enjoy the trout farm,you will walk past this).

Stanton should also be included...this beautiful village sits on the Cotswolds way and is personal favourite.

The Mount Inn serves excellent food(i am unsure whether or not it offers accommodation).

I should add that the Cotswolds way is a 105 miles walk which cuts through some beautiful countryside(i have done bits of it)and basing yourselves here would place you ideally between Winchcombe and Broadway/Chipping Campden.

Others worthy of a mention are Guiting Power,Lower Slaughter and Barnsley near Bibury.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
1,635 reviews
5. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

https:/…

A link to show some B and Bs in Stanton.....

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
1,635 reviews
6. Re: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks

I hear plenty of good praise for this place....

www.cotteswoldhouse.org.uk/

Reply to: One full day in Cotswolds-houses and walks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted