We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

We are doing an inner circle access tour in May, which finishes at 7.45am. Is there likely to be anywhere nearby to get some breakfast at that time? Not too expensive of course!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

There is a Little Chef just down the road if you have a car.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

Hi,

What are your plans following the special access? As the poster above says, there's the Little Chef by Travelodge on the A303 East of Stonehenge, just a couple of miles, which is suitable if you're heading back towards London.

But if you're heading to Salisbury, then you might consider the Premier Inn on the outskirts. They do a good breakfast at a reasonable price, with a fair variety of items.

Amesbury may well have some places too. But if you're on a coach tour, then I really don't know what they do. Do they herd you back on to the coach? There isn't anywhere within easy walking distance.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

Sorry should have been more specific. We are staying in Bath for the week and have our own car.

I was thinking we needed to remain nearby to return to to Stonehenge mid morning and do the regular tour - perhaps that isn't necessary? but after that will be touring around generally before heading back to Bath. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

If you wish to visit Avebury Stone Circle, which is about 30 miles north of Stonehenge, there is a Little Chef in Amesbury which would be on your route. I hope it is still there as they have closed a lot of their outlets.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

If you wish to visit Avebury Stone Circle, which is about 30 miles north of Stonehenge, there is a Little Chef in Amesbury which would be on your route. I hope it is still there as they have closed a lot of their outlets.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

I was thinking we needed to remain nearby to return to to Stonehenge mid morning and do the regular tour - perhaps that isn't necessary?

-----

It would be pointless ! Its the same stones, what additional thing did you think you would see ??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

I guess I'm just concerned that in seeing it one way (which we were told means that the normal tourist facilities are not available) we may miss out on something else, especially as our inner circle access price allows a visit to the complex later in the day. It's not like we can come back in a month if we change our minds :)

However neither do we have time to waste! so if the advice is we wouldn't gain anything by a repeat trip I'm sure our time could be spent elsewhere.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

Back to your original question - I can recommend a cafe in Amesbury called Friar Tuck. It's in Salisbury Street and we have been in at 7:30 in the morning. We stayed at the Travelodge next to the Little Chef, but were appalled at their prices. Friar Tuck is much better value.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,889 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

You could visit the Friar Tuck, then pop into Salisbury for a couple of hours (the Cathedral knocks Bath Abbey into a cocked hat) then back to Stonehenge for the visitor centre, and on to Avebury/ Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow.

That should take you into mid afternoon, then back towards Bath via Lacock, fininshing up in Castle Combe for supper at the inn in the village centre (sorry, forgotten the name) - alternatively the White Hart at Ford..

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early morning cafe' near stonehenge?

I like RomanCitizen's suggestion!

One reason for going back to Stonehenge (although for many it would be overkill; even I can see that!) is the ability to go back in during general admission and make use of the audioguides, and find out the history / theories / legends that you may well not have known about unless you've read up beforehand. And of course, the gift shop is then open.

Get answers to your questions about Southampton