We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

England
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

We recently had two nights on the Island. I said to SWMBO, with what it cost, it wasn't worth going for one night.

I know nothing about the economics of running a ferry service so should probably keep me gob shut. (also I get irritated when people who know nothing about my trade, moan about what I charge) But why is it so costly? You can get over to France for less (I appreciate that route is on a much bigger scale and the freight fees probably subsidise the trippers)

We booked ahead (two people and a small car) and it cost is 120 notes. (including our senior discount)

We liked the island, but at that price would probably not come again.

Views?

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Oh don't get us started . . .

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£120 would be for a peak crossing, there are cheaper crossings

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Also it helps to combine your accommodation booking with your crossing, many hotels can also arrange cheaper crossings.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Tell me about it ..... widely regarded as one of the most expensive stretches of water around.

England
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Thanks

I could go on the website and investigate cheaper times, but does anyone know, off the top of your head so to speak, what is the cheapest possible fare fer car + 2.

We did ask our BandB if they could help with a disc, but they said no.

BTW...... That was Lymington/Yaremouth crossing.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 03:37
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

As a comparison we did Southampton to Cowes in June of this year. We booked it around 8-9 months in advance. We took 2 vehicles and for each one we paid around £70 return. The Southampton crossing is around an hour which is longer than the Lymington crossing, but we chose this one because it was easier and quicker for us to reach, plus we like the ferry crossing, so were happy to sit there for an hour. Our crossing was at 11:30 out and an hour earlier on the return, so at peak time.

We added an extra person to the crossing one month before we went and was told there was no price difference, so you actually pay for the vehicle and then just name the passengers, but are not charged independently for them. You need to book as early as you can and also subscribe to the ferry's websites and then you get emails with promotional codes which offer you a discount which is normally 10%. We did this too.

As you say you can get cheap crossings to France and we've also done the 'booze cruise' thing a couple of times with a cheap day return ticket.

I can only say that if you paid £120 you were robbed.

England
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Thanks for the info

The £120 was via the wight link web site, which i naively assumed would be the best way!

Belton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

We love the Isle of Wight and visit regularly - but the ferry fares are expensive. We either arrange for an inclusive crossing with our stay, or save our Tesco vouchers and use those £10 of vouchers converts to £30 on Wightlink.

England
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

Thanks for allocating your very very first post to my topic tubeway.

Tescos.... that's a good tip

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Costs.... Why so much?

You can't use Tesco vouchers against all ferry fares and you must book at least 2 weeks in advance.