We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

As picked up in a review recently posted, due to the unexpected passing of the man responsible for restoring the Towers as a tourist attraction, they and the cafe are closed at the moment. Please check their website before planning a visit.

This very popular and well-respected businessman will be sadly missed, having invested so much of his own money & passion in re-establishing daily opening of the Towers, extending the space into the Old City Gaol and constructing the cafe.

I don't expect that the planned boutique hotel in the Old City Gaol will go ahead now, we'll have to wait & see.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

How sad to hear of the passing of the man responsible for Westgate towers :( He sounds like he did a great deal for tourism and the local area. Not many businessman in my eyes are like this anymore.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Any news on the status of this attraction yet? I'd been considering a visit, since I have an interest in history and I live fairly locally, but now I find out it's not open.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Sadly it is still closed. There has not been anything about it in the local news of late. I don't think anything is going to happen anytime soon, due to the issues to do with the closure. This is such a shame, especially as the roadway under the towers is now pedestrianised.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Oh well. Thanks.

It's a bit odd that there are recent reviews for it though.

Edited: 31 March 2012, 13:32
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Reviews can be accepted for any visit within the last 12 months. Although the two recent 'reviews' posted since its closure have no visit date, so they were probably submitted via a smartphone app or facebook and with these, who knows!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

I've just read in a local newspaper that the Westgate Towers Museum has reopened.

thisiskent.co.uk/Canterbury-Westgate-TowersM…

I hadn't noticed as I haven't been up that end of town in the last week or two. It has now come back under the management of Canterbury City Council so the website is now canterbury.co.uk/Westgate_Towers_Museum.aspx

There is a discrepancy between the entry fee shown on the news report (£8) and on the Canterbury Museums website (£4). When I'm next up that end of town I will try to check which is right. I suspect it's £8 now it is back under Canterbury Museums' portfolio as this is in line with the other museums. But both sources now mention a new £12 triple-entry combined ticket with the Heritage and Roman Museums.

The City Gaol Cafe will remain closed.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,686 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

That's good to know. I'll pay it a visit some time.

I'd rather trust the Visit Canterbury website than a newspaper site. I'm sure £8 can't be right. It's not that big is it?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

No, it's by far the smallest of the museums. Good news for me now is that is says Canterbury Residents Card holders have free entry again so I'll try to check it out at some point and report back.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

I can confirm the standard entrance fee is £4 and not £8 as reported in the newspaper article link I posted above. Journalists, eh?!

Also the main entrance is no longer the narrow spiral staircase within the towers but is now through the Old City Gaol side which has easier stairs.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westgate Towers & City Gaol Cafe closed until further notice

Thanks for that Bayboy, I might have to check it out next time I find myself in Canterbury :)

Get answers to your questions about Canterbury
Recent Conversations