We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 8 day London itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
My 8 day London itinerary

Hi everyone

We are from Sydney Australia and are planning our first visit to London. I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions re the following itinerary that I've put together based on my research:

Day 1 Arrive in London late afternoon

Day 2 Chelsea Flower Show

Day 3 London Official Bus Tour, Kensington Palace, Princess Di Memorial, Hyde Park

Day 4 Tower of London (Beefeater tour), St Paul's Cathedral

Day 5 Windsor Castle and Hampton Court (Surbiton Coaches to transfer between)

Day 6 Buckingham Palace (Changing of the Guard, Royal Mews), Westminster Abbey, The Albert Memorial

Day 7 British Museum for Cairo exhibit then cruise on River Thames to Kew Gardens

Day 8 High Tea, packing + shopping - Covent Gardens, Hamleys, Harrods, Leadenhall & Borough Markets

Old Royal Naval College
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
Westminster Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Temple Church
Churches & Cathedrals
16 replies to this topic
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

"Day 8 High Tea"

I think you probably mean afternoon tea, high tea would be a cooked meal:

https://www.thespruce.com/afternon-vs-high-t…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

I think that those various shopping stops on day 8 are all over the map. You could visit Borough Markets on day 4, since it is only a short walk across the river from St Paul's and the Tower of London. It might be doable as a lunch stop between them. Leadenhall Market is also close to those places as well.

Somewhere like Harrods is also open latish. I forget the closing time, but it is open later than most of the palaces and museums. So you could probably visit Harrods in the early evening of one of the other days.

Level Contributor
3,569 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

<<<Day 8 High Tea, packing + shopping - Covent Gardens, Hamleys, Harrods, Leadenhall & Borough Markets>>>

While architecturally attractive, Leadenhall isn’t a market in the sense you think it is so it’s not really a place for shopping. As the poster above says, you’ve listed five places in five completely different parts of London for a shopping trip.

Hamleys is on Regent Street, near the lovely department store Liberty - which is way nicer and more quintessentially British than Harrods.

Hampton Court is worth more than half a day - it’s a splendid place. I wouldn’t try to fit Windsor Castle in too - or give it a separate half-day of its own, combined with some central London sightseeing or shopping.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 18:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

Yes, I do mean afternoon tea, thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

Thanks for your advice. I might try and put Windsor Castle and Hampton Court on separate days and include some of the shopping stops at other times. I must admit, I hadn't looked on the map to see where the shops/markets were located. We are not big shoppers so it's more to have the experience and perhaps get something from Hamleys for the granddaughter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

Also note that Borough Market is a food market, so most of it is stuff you cannot bring back to Australia anyhow.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

I'd agree that Windsor and Hampton Court would be better done on separate days. Also, if you are not big shoppers then give Horrids a miss - as has been said above, Liberty is a much nicer shop and much more 'British', as well as being close to Hamleys. The various museum shops are also good for gifts.

Many of London's museums are free to enter so are a good way of filling in if you have more time than you expect.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

Day 8 seems overly packed. Also, what day of the week is it? Borough market isn't in full operation every day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

I'm changing my itinerary around based on all your feedback, thanks. I'll put Windsor Castle and Hampton Court on separate days and will do the shopping visits on different afternoons depending on the area we are in. Will go to Borough Market on Day 4 (Saturday) for lunch between the Tower of London and St Paul's Cathedral. Great suggestions, thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My 8 day London itinerary

In addition to the above comments, The Albert memorial is a short walk from Kensington Palace, so worth visiting while you're there.

Leadenhall Market is a short walk from the Tower of London, so also worth visiting while you are there. You could walk through before you go to the Tower and then continue on to Borough Market. You wouldn't want to shop at Leadenhall, just take photos.

I don't recall there being much in Hamley's that you can't buy elsewhere, and for much cheaper too. Others will correct me if I'm wrong. So if the only reason you want to visit is to buy a gift for your granddaughter, then you could find toys elsewhere.

Reply to: My 8 day London itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted