We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Thanks to the contributors here we have been saving a lot of money at attractions in London. Bought a decoy rail ticket on June 8, and we have tickets leaving today, June 12, for Southampton. Everywhere took our vouchers no problem, some didn’t even want to see our train tickets. But the London Eye refused the voucher because we had not travelled by train that day, June 10. They told us it was not their problem, take it up with National Rail. Am I missing something?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,664 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,249 Reviews
from US$113.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
746 Reviews
from US$103.00*
28 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

What was your decoy ticket?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Queenstown Road to Victoria. But it was the date which was the issue. No where else cared, some examined the locations.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Did your ticket meet these conditions? Perhaps your decoy was viewed as a single and your ticket to Southampton as onward travel not a return?

If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets and offer vouchers only on the day of travel.

If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets and offer vouchers any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for the offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

All tickets should show that you have travelled to the attraction by train, whether that be ‘London Terminals’ for 2FOR1 London attractions, or the train station nearest to the attraction itself. Tickets that have a destination too far from the attractions location may be denied by attraction staff. Details of the attractions nearest station can be found on the attraction’s listing page.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 02:55
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

The conditions are shown in the FAQ

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/faqs

Becky has covered it. Your ticket needed to be for the same day, or be a return covering the range of dates. The London Eye staff were correct from what you've said.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Sounds like you need an attorney to figure things out. Our adult kids had tickets from Southampton to Waterloo on June 9 returning June 12 and they were also denied. Voucher was printed for that day. Can’t see why how far you came from should make a difference if the principle is to encourage tourism. Our tickets were examined at the Tower of London and Kensington Palace and they had no problem with them. Westminster Abbey didn’t even want to see our rail tickets, but gave us the discount. So why just the London Eye? Left a bad taste in our mouths.I would go back to the other sites in the future and give a big avoid of the Eye, expensive and a ripoff.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

I guess you have to look at 2-4-1 as a bonus, not an entitlement.

Technically, your tickets didn't meet the requirements but some of the attractions chose to overlook this which is entirely their discretion - the London Eye has staff who are more observant or particular or better trained or just jobsworthy, but either way, you saved a fair chunk of money on the other attractions and still had a good time, right?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Can’t see why how far you came from should make a difference if the principle is to encourage tourism.

-----------

It isn't, It's to encourage travel by rail. The fact people can take advantage of discounted attractions whilst not doing so (decoy tickets) is really just a bonus.

It's not as if the Eye is mandatory and even at half price is a waste of money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,533 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

Have they changed the wording slightly? It says 'return' on the FAQ's page at the Days Out In London page.

'If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets to qualify for the 2FOR1 offer only on the day of travel.

If you are making a return journey, you can use your National Rail tickets to qualify for the 2FOR1 offer on any day on or between your outward and return journeys. For example, if you arrived on Thursday and will return on Sunday, your tickets will be considered valid for 2FOR1 offers on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.'

https:/…is-my-ticket-valid-for-2for1

I'm sure some asked if a single from A into London on day 1 and a single from London to B on a later date was valid and was told it was.

9. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 June 2018, 04:31
Edited: 12 June 2018, 04:31

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?

I'm sure some asked if a single from A into London on day 1 and a single from London to B on a later date was valid and was told it was.

------------

Whereas I'm sure I've seen the opposite. That does not mean that tickets are checked properly or at all of course.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 04:32
Reply to: Did I get it wrong 2-4-1?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted