We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay???

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay???

Before I begin, I'll start with an apology for asking yet another inane question! I've been searching or hours trying to find an apartment to rent next June 2013. I've been looking around Green Park, Mayfair, etc but all apartments are v expensive. We are a family of 4- two adults two kids (5 and 11) We are driving in (will need to drop off hire car) but want to stay within a minute or two from tube station. I know we can't be close to every attraction, but it would be good to be near a station with a couple of lines going through it. we would like to be away from heavy nightclub area, but close to plenty of cafes and shops. Hoping to pay around 150-200 pound max per night. I'm not really after actual apartment recommendations (although happy to receive them) I'm really more keen to get some area suggestions- good districts for families?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay???

Where are arriving from that you need to drop off a car? Most people will not recommend driving into central London.

If you are dropping off a car at Heathrow or Gatwick, there are numerous options for getting into London.

There are dozens of tube stations all over London. You don't need to stay in Mayfair or Green Park to be near a station. You can easily widen your search area to anywhere in Zone 1 or fringes of Zone 2.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay???

It sounds like you have not been to London before? Here's something you might want to try to help you get a feel for transport and locations.

Just put "London" in your google search bar and then click on "maps". Zoom in and take a look. You'll see tube stations clearly marked in different parts of the city.

I only mention this as it will help you get an idea how widespread the Underground network is. If you zoom in very close to areas, you will even see bus stops marked (the other wonder of London transport - not to be discounted at all).

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay???

We stayed in South Kensington, a couple minutes walk to the Gloucester Rd tube station. We loved the neighborhood and this tube station has multiple lines running through it, so made site seeing very convenient. The Natural History Museum and Science Museums are also close (we walked home from the Science Museum one afternoon).

We rented through A Place Like Home and I highly recommend them - our two bedroom apt is in your price range (L169 on their website). http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
832 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay???

Here's another thumbs-up for the area amama mentioned - S. Kensington, near the Gloucester Road tube station, or the Earl's Court station. Lots of cafes and shops, and though they certainly don't roll up the sidewalks after dark, I'd say it's a family-friendly area. Easy access by public transport to central London and lots to see and do fairly close at hand. Besides the venues amama mentioned, there's the V&A, a fine hodgepodge (joke, sort of) that for some reason I just have to pop in to every time I'm in London.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay???

Thanks for the South Kensington tip - I'll have a search around that area. For what it is worth, I have been to London before, but several years ago, but have been working from Google maps with a layer map of the metro system..........my question was really about finding other areas to focus on for a family! Many thanks for the replies and I'll check out aplacelikehome.com

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay???

Just a clarification: use the link I provided above for A Place like Home.

aplacelikehome.com takes you to a different company.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 18:21
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay???

Have a look at the Mansions near Earl's Court station, with one and two bedroom flats available.

Having a car in central London is a hindrance rather than a plus, as fuel, parking and the Congestion Charge will all add to the cost of the vehicle.

You say you would like to stay 'a minute or two from a tube station' but as whiterabbit said, please do not discount London's buses. They are a superb alternative to the Underground for short journeys and extremely useful when there are planned works or delays on the Tube as well.

western australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay???

Hi,

The last three years I have stayed at Castletown House which have self contained apartments and have always been happy with them. It is in West Kensington and is very close to both West Kensington and Barons Court stations. I have stayed in both of their two bedroom apartments and they are both very roomy, which I think you will appreciate with the two children!

Here is the link

http://www.castletownhouse.co.uk/

Cheers

Sara

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay???

Thanks for these recommendations. Just thought I would clarify - we are flying in to Gatwick from Venice and heading across to Windsor for a few nights before heading in to London. We are going to drop off the car on the outskirts of London - and DO NOT intend to drive in Central London. Widening my search.......I'm still looking for the right place to stay, but in a wider search area. Thanks for reminding me about the buses - I had forgotten how good they were - but yes - it's coming back now!! :)

10. Re: Where to stay???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:17