We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

Watertown, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

My husband and I are planning a 14 day trip to Europe flying into Heathrow the evening of October 17th and out of Paris mid-day on October 30th. We are looking for itinerary suggestions for our time in London for two or three days. We are wondering if we would have time for a day trip outside of London to the Cotswolds. We are planning on taking the Eurostar to either Brussels or Paris on Monday. If we take the train to Paris the plan would be to continue on to the Cote d' Azure and return through Arles, Avignon, Strasbourg and finally Paris. It would be great to somehow work a night in Brussels so that we could also be in Bruges during a Carollon concert on Saturday, Sunday or Wednesday. Any suggestions as to order of travel or particular sights not to miss would be appreciated. We enjoy historical sights, gardens and inexpensive local cuisine. Any suggestions for travel options i.e. train or bus or rental car as well as suggestions for hotels would also be appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

Just to be clear, that's at least 7 overnight stays , including two of the greatest cities in the world, in 13 nights?

Is this a first trip to London & Paris?

Edited: 20 June 2013, 03:17
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

Well the title is perfectly reasonable, 3 places in 14 days and then it immediately starts to pile in places starting with London for 2 or. 3 days but adding in several other places and then morphing into Southern Europe in between Brussels and Paris (and even then can't resist the temptation to throw in Bruges at the end)

I don't even know where to start except to say you are way too ambitious and won't see even half. Probably not a quarter. Get realistic. Write down arrival and departure times and consider that on a day moving from a to b you'll lose half the day.

Back to the drawing board.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

London, Paris and Brussels are do-able in 14 days. All of the other places aren't, you're being way too ambitious. Think about which places you most want to see and work from that; also, get some good maps and guide books to understand what's in all of these places, how you get between them and how long it will take. If you try to do everything you have in mind now, you will spend all of your time travelling and not see anything.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,025 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days - possible

London, Cotswolds, Cote d' Azure, Arles, Avignon, Strasbourg, Paris, Bruges & Brussels in 14 days

- you have to be kidding

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

It is hard to tell what is is you actually want to achieve, other than become incredibly familiar with departure and arrival lounges at airports, bus and train stations.

In 14 days (presumably including arrival/departure days) you could do 2 cities (superficially) and maybe one rural/beach area or one city and several smaller, rural ones (in one country). So perhaps start with that and do some proper research into train and plane travel timetables which will perhaps provide a reality check.

This site is a good start for planning rail travel:

http://www.seat61.com/

Watertown, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

This is our first trip to this part of Europe and since I'm not sure that we would ever have an opportunity to return there are several sights I do not want to miss. Therefore after reading several other responses to my original post I have gone back to the drawing board for a better route. The plan is to spend four nights in London, take the train under the channel to Brussels and stay for two nights. From Brussels a flight to Nice for two nights and from there take the TGV train back to Beaune for one night before returning by train to spend our remaining 4 nights in Paris.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

www.cityjet.com fly London City to Avignon and www.easyjet.com fly London to Marseille

Trains Marseille to Avignon - Beaune - Paris www.voyages-sncf.com

Trains Paris to Brugge www.thalys.com

8. Re: London, Paris and Belgium in 14 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 00:16