We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

I have combed through a bunch of threads but am still not sure our particular plan will work for Heathrow. Can anyone give a little feedback on the following logistics??

We are AA Admirals Club Members. We have a 12 hour layover on our flight from DFW through LHR to JNB and wanted to do the following:

1. Upon arrival from DFW go to AA Lounge in T3 to drop bags, eat, etc.

2. Go into London for a few hours. I realize the logistics of this all but we have time.

3. Return back to T3 AA lounge for showers, dinner etc.

4. Go to T5 for 7pm flight to JNB.

I think if I understand responses to other threads that upon arrival we go to the UK immigration and then back into the AA lounge at T3. I am just wondering that if we leave the lounge and go into London when we return will we be allowed into T3 (even though our departing flight/boarding pass is out of T5 on BA) to go back into the AA lounge before departing to T5?

Any thoughts? I sure appreciate any feedback.

Mandy

1. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 11:07
Edited: 08 August 2015, 11:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,130 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Sorry, #1 is incorrect so I have asked for it to be removed.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Hi Mandy

I know little about the AA set up so will leave it to those who do

Your 12 hour layover is considerably less when you factor in a few points.

From touchdown to arrivals (via Passport control etc) 1 hour (maybe less more likely more,it was 90 mins for a friend at T5 last week)

Drop off bags etc

Journey to London 1 hour + 1 hour return.

Re-checking in at T5 allow 2hours minimum what with heightened security these days.

At the beginning of your journey and at the end you mention eating showering etc. so say 1 hour for each

Your time in London is therefore very limited down to poss 4/5 hours,enough for a brief walk around. Certainly do-able but not with a great deal of time to spare

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,401 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

This article will give you additional information on a trip into London. Do you travel with a US Passport?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195392/Londo…

Another consideration would be a visit to Windsor, which is about 20-30 minutes away by Taxi. (£20 or so each way) What time do you arrive at T3? What time does your flight depart?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Edited: 08 August 2015, 12:08
London
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Heathrow has four geographically separate terminals. As a general rule, you can only access the terminal that your flight departs from. As your flight leaves from T5, you won't get into the airside area of T3, so you don't get anywhere near the Admirals club.

As for bags, as AA and BA are both in oneworld, your bags should be checked all the way through, you shouldn't need to do anything with them in London.

You can go into central London, but leave contingency time for your return to T5. BA have a cut off time, you must have cleared security at T-35 minutes and they operate this ruthlessly, no exceptions. Failure to meet that and you'll be turned back at the security point and treated as a "no show". You're heading into T5 at a busy time and there may be a significant queue to clear security, so don't cut things fine.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

You might get answers to this by posting on the Air Travel forum, or contact AA and ask.

Edited: 08 August 2015, 12:14
New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,401 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Are you thinking of the AA arrivals lounge in T3 maybe? That lounge is not airside, and is accessed after you leave customs. Complimentary access if you are traveling Business Class or First Class or if you are Executive Platinum, other wise $90us day pass. Lounge hours are 5 a.m to 2 pm so you wouldn't be able to return most likely.

aa.com/i18n/…arrivals_lounge.jsp

Edited: 08 August 2015, 12:42
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

You all are awesome Thank You!

I have researched the logistical fun of going into London and back. I think we have very tame expectations of seeing Big Ben, walking a bit, and then hitting a pub. We'll be back to London again. We were more killing time while still getting a little taste of London. We have been questioning if it is worth it and then we have a 12 hour flight to JNB ahead of us.

I love the Windsor idea. Much more doable without killing ourselves. I need to look into that. Thank you!

We contacted AA and they had no clue of the logistics part. Tow of us also checked at the Admirals help desk while traveling the past few weeks with no luck either. Ha Ha! I cannot believe we are the first wondering this but who knows.

The answer may just be for us to get the admirals lounge when we arrive at 7am and hang there most of the day, heading over to T5 prior to our flight.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Have a wonderful day!

London
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

Please re read what's written above. You don't get access to the T3 airside area, so you can't access the main Admirals club in T3. If your membership allows access to the (landside) arrivals lounge, you could use that.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: AA Lounge T3 - Can we get back in after leaving T3?

No I understood. We have access to both with our membership/status so either works for us. If landside is all we can get to so be it. We also have access to the BA lounge in T5 but it is not nearly as nice as the AA unfortunately, so we were hoping to get into the airside AA lounge since it has more to offer for our needs.