We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to go for walks and photography

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Places to go for walks and photography

Hi

Staying in Whitby soon and I am interested in really good places to have a walk and take photos. I have been to Whitby before and have been up to The Abbey and went to Bempton Cliffs to see the seabirds. I had hoped to do a lot more but I had an ankle injury just before I went. I plan a walk to Sandsend and to go back to Scarborough to see the castle again. Any information about coastal places within an easy drive would be really appreciated, particularly really good viewpoints. I've seen a lot of inland places in the area like Pickering and Helmsley but anything that anybody can think of would be really helpful. I missed out so much last time that I don't want to miss a thing this time.

Thanks for your help.

Suzi

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

I'm sort of assuming you've already been to Robin Hood's Bay? Best time to go is first thing in the morning or in the evening when it's very quiet. Good views from the top of the hill before you go down the steep 'main street' to the sea. Don't just walk down the main drag - explore the tiny little alleys and ginnels that run off in all directions.

Then there's Staithes also very picturesque and you can do some walking along the cliff tops, again with great views.

Inland I love to go to Wheeldale Roman Road. It's high up on the Moors and I've never seen anyone else up there. You can walk along (or on) the road.

english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…

The drive up to it is gorgeous, with wonderful views on a clear day.

yorkshiremoors.co.uk/walks/roman_road.html

Rosedale Abbey is another good place to visit. There's a walk you can do along the old Ironstone Railway and the views are spectacular, especially within the setting of some fascinating industrial archaeology.

Here's an example of one of the walks but you can google plenty more.

walkingenglishman.com/northyorkshire12.htm

The going is generally pretty good as the walks are often along the old railway line which clung to the edge of the valley.

This link gives you an idea of the views on the Ironstone Railway walk.

docbrown.info/docspics/…laspage05.htm

Much further inland, but I'll mention in just in case you are out and about, is the deserted medieval village of Wharram Percy, which is very photogenic.

english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…

Then there's Rievaulx Abbey and Rievaulx Terraces (two separate entry fees). You can look down from the terraces onto the Abbey. However, if you didn't want to pay to enter the terraces there are public footpaths than run behind the Abbey and give a good view looking down onto it.

Byland Abbey is also lovely, and much quieter than Rievaulx.

Hope this helps with your research!

Edited: 09 June 2015, 10:02
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

Great suggestions from Morgana as always - I'd add Hutton Le Hole which is an attractive village and has the Ryedale Folk Museum which is worth a look round

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

Thanks Morgana and Joe, I really appreciate your help. I want to see all I can this time as I saw so little last time. I will research all the places suggested and shortlist so that I can see the places I like the look of best. I haven't been to Robin Hood's Bay by the way and I'm guessing that is a good place to visit too so I shall look that up as well.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Thanks so much.

Suzi

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

As you clearly love photography you might be interested in going to the Sutcliffe Gallery in Whitby - he really did know how to take a wonderful picture!

http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

Good idea - Also there is a gallery with some stunning modern photos of the area at the top of Flowergate

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

Agree with the suggestion of RHB and also the walk to Boggle Hole and provides beautiful views. Runswick Bay is a lovely village and beach, too, very photogenic.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

Thank you all, lots of lovely places to go then. Spoilt for choice :D

Suzi

8. Re: Places to go for walks and photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2016, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Whitby
Recent Conversations