We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Walls

Hexham, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
City Walls

Hello

We are coming for a night at the end of October and we are interested in walking the city walls. We may have time to do the full circuit but just in case we don't, what is the best section to cover which offers the best views of York/The Minster?

We are staying at the Hotel Indigo which I understand is quite close to an entrance?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
York Minster
York Minster
13,116 Reviews
York, UK
7 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,230 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Walls

I'd suggest the best views of the Minster from York Walls would be from near Bootham Bar, not far from the Minster. From Bootham Bar walk along the walls in a north east direction and there are good views of the Minster, although a little obstructed by the buildings between you and the Minster.

Mentioned in this post
York Minster
York Minster
13,116 Reviews
York, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Bootham Bar
Bootham Bar
29 Reviews
York, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Walls

The part of the wall you are wanting is, as the previous post suggests, the bit between Bootham and Monk Bars - Bootham is the bar at the opposite side of the walls from - your nearest entrance would be Walmgate Bar. You could either go up there, taking the left side and go past Monk Bar (and the Richard III) museum round to Bootham or take a 5 minute walk through town and start at Monk Bar. Bear in mind though the time you are arriving - the walls shut at dusk which isn't too late in October.

Mentioned in this post
Monk Bar
Monk Bar
40 Reviews
York, UK
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
65 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Walls

Please note - the walls are closed at 6pm or dusk, whichever is earlier so while the above posts are correct, if you are wanting to walk them at night you will be disappointed. I assume they close for health and safety reasons, there are some quite high drops at various points and I can only imagine the consequences of an inebriated ramble in the dark...

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Walls

I agree that the best part of the wall walk is as mentioned between Bootham and Monk Bar - I walked round most of the circuit a few days ago and found that the Monk Bar to Peasholme Green section is shut so if you did do the whole walk you will have to walk along the road if it is still shut - the next section is road as well as it is where there was a lake and so a defensive wall wasn't required. I also like the section between Lendal Bridge and Skeldergate as there are classic views of the Minster and good views of the railway station and the Bishophill residential area

Mentioned in this post
Monk Bar
Monk Bar
40 Reviews
York, UK
York Minster
York Minster
13,116 Reviews
York, UK
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
307 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Walls

The section from Bootham Bar past Monkbar follows the alignment of the Roman wall which surrounded our first City..Eboracum..some 2000 years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Bootham Bar
Bootham Bar
29 Reviews
York, UK
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Walls

>>Please note - the walls are closed at 6pm or dusk, whichever is earlier <<

Are you sure about that? I've always been under the impression that the closing time was at dusk, however late in the day that was. I've certainly been on the walls past 6 pm.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,230 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Walls

York City Council website has the closing times listed, there are later closing times than 6pm through the summer months.

https:/…the_city_walls

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Reply to: City Walls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York