We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
29 reviews
Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Hello.

We'll be finishing our English leg of the trip in York. Next, we'll catch an early morning flight from Doncaster Sheffield Airport. I'm planning to arrive to the airport in the evening, before the flight, and to spend a night in some budget hotel. From what I've googled, there's no Premier Inn. Travelodge Lakeside is about 10km away. Are there any other useful options?

Transportation issue! There are trains and buses. What's preferable? Is there a possibility of good value for money, advanced booking?

Please advise, your input shall be highly appreciated. Thank you so very much.

Yuri.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
57 reviews
11. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

It's about 25 minutes from York to Doncaster on the train, i'm not sure if there's anything to be gained by booking in advance or not - do a dummy booking and test if advance tickets are available and if they are, compare to a standard single fare. Given how many trains trundle up and down the main east coast line I'd expect there's one at least every half hour.

The Ramada Encore at the airport is very much in the middle of nowhere so if you're staying there and take the bus or taxi from Donny station then be aware that you're there for the night! I assume you can walk to the terminal, it's only across the road from the car park in front of the terminal so not much further than parking at the far end of the car park.

If you wanted somewhere not at the side of an airport runway for the night have a look at the Crown Hotel at Bawtry which is a nice enough little market town with a choice of places to eat - you could get the bus down from Doncaster then it would be 10minutes in a taxi to the airport the next day.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
29 reviews
12. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Thank you very much everybody. At 5am, with a couple sleepy children, I'd need to make as less effort as possible. We'll probably taxi ourselves and our suitcases from the train station to Ramada. I hope the eatery at Ramada Encore is alright. I'd need to take my guys to a dinner. Does anybody has any experience there?

How frequent are the trains from York to Doncaster?

Yuri.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
57 reviews
13. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

"Given how many trains trundle up and down the main east coast line I'd expect there's one at least every half hour."

I've eaten in a Ramada Encore elsewhere.....it fell into that "it's ok as there's nowhere else to eat" category IMO!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
15 reviews
14. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Yuri - wish I'd seen this before, and it's probably too late now, but Sheffield is one of England's great cities for beer pubs (a close second only to Norwich IMHO). You start at the railway station itself ! Were you able to get a pass the evening before, then you could explore some of these (The Kelham Island Tavern needs to be added to this list) : wow247.co.uk/2014/…

There are plenty of decent hotels in the city centre. I know nothing about airport transportation, this is purely to point out something you may have missed.

Mike

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
29 reviews
15. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Thank you very much everybody.

Mike. Sheffield is not on my list of destinations. After a couple of weeks in Yorkshire, and a few days in York ( I'll crawl the pubs, best I know how to! ), we'll be going to Doncaster Sheffield Airport to catch a flight to Bucharest. Carpathian Mountains and Count Dracula legend, in addition to Tuica ( Romanian Plum Vodka ), - all seem very appealing.

Flying Easyjet ( plus, avoiding London ) and Wizz Air will reduce costs significantly.

Yuri.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,317 posts
15 reviews
16. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Yuri - it's simply that I know what you like, and I know that one of those York nights spent instead in Sheffield would most definitely hit the spot with you. There's great shopping for the family too.

Anyway, your call as always. Have a great trip !

Mike

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
29 reviews
17. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Mike. Thanks for the tips. Frankly, I've always thought of Sheffield as industrial city, birthplace of Joe Cocker, but that's about it. We're not after big cities anyway.

I know York, my Mrs doesn't. York has plenty to offer, plus it's important historically ( Clifford's Tower = Massada of York ). I'm sure, she'll like it.

This trip is going to involve too many relocations as it is. I wouldn't wish to complicate it any further.

Yuri.

stryker2001
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
18. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

I live in Doncaster. You can stop in the town centre and get an ARROW Taxi for £15 or Absolute Taxis for less. Or catch the Airport bus which costs less thatn £5 from the Frenchgate Bus station

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
29 reviews
19. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

Thank you Stryker. We're 2 adults and 2 children, with suitcases. IMHO, the difference between the costs between taxi&bus won't be so significant.

Yuri.

20. Re: Transportation from York to Doncaster Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2018, 00:19