We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
90 reviews
Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

Hi everyone on the York Forum

My husband and I will be visiting York for three nights from 5th to 8th January 2018.

We are travelling from London to Edinburgh by train and have decided to break the journey and explore York. We can't wait!

Hubby really wants to visit the Jorvik Centre as he is very interested in Viking history. I have read some reports about long queues there, and with only three nights we don't have time for that.

Do we need to book tickets at that time of the year? Not sure if it will still be school holidays or not, but it is a weekend. What about other attractions, are prebooked tickets required? We are looking at visiting the Minster, obviously, the Castle museum, hopefully the Railway Museum and little amount of time we have left will be spent wandering the town.

We will be staying at Dean Court.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,885 posts
1. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

< I have read some reports about long queues there >

I passed there yesterday and there was about 5 people in the queue

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
366 posts
221 reviews
2. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

I imagine it would not be that busy as for some schools that will be the last weekend of the xmas break (so people might be skint). The queues can get big in summer but most of time on an average weekend they ain't so bad. I haven't been since it's been re-opened so the queuing outside "issue" might have been resolved.

If you look here https://www.jorvikvikingcentre.co.uk/book/ it looks like there is plenty of availability

There can sometimes be a queue for the minister but i've never waited more than a 5-10 mins and we go several times a year they usually moves fairly quickly. The railway museum make you queue to get it but its actually free so there is no need to. Just walk past the till area and enjoy your visit.

Edited: 26 September 2017, 05:50
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
185 reviews
3. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

I visited just after the reopening in April, and queues were long and slow moving. Lots of pre booked guests went to the head of the queue for instant admission. If you can I would recommend pre booking, especially for the weekend.

It's similar to a theme park ride with a very limited capacity, so any queue is slow moving.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
67 posts
315 reviews
4. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

Hi! Not a bad idea to pre-book but don't imagine that it will get you a fast-track in as it doesn't. However the queues have been virtually non-existent the past 4 or 5 times we've been in that part of York - the fuss has died down following the re-opening at Easter (it was flooded in the December 2015 floods).

You will have to queue to get into the Castle Museum on a weekend as they usually only have a couple of staff on the desk and they will try to persuade you to take out a York Museum Trust card (which would be pointless as you aren't local!). However you are talking minutes not hours to queue.

The schools open again on 08 Jan so it could be busy in York - and of course the sales will be in full swing so budget/plan for that!

The Yorkshire museum is also worth a visit (it's the same group as the Castle Museum and York Art Gallery so consider getting a combined ticket) and covers everything from pre-history to the Romans, Vikings, Medieval York and the Tudors. The Roman exhibits are particularly interesting, they have a few skeletons on display and it is incredible what we can now find out about how people lived from their bones - honestly if anyone in your party is a history buff they will love it.

You could also consider getting a York Pass which is a tourist card giving you entry to particular attractions for a fee - Visit York website for more information. Please also note that if you wish to visit the Minster for anything other than worship you will have to pay. It is well worth it though and there is a fascinating exhibition in the crypt about all the archaeological finds when restoration work has been carried out. There is also a small cinema showing 3 different films about the Minster.

Check what is on at the Railway Museum as you sometimes have to queue to get in there - if the Flying Scotsman has finished his nationwide tour and is back you could have to queue. Admission to the Railway museum is free but they will ask you for a donation. The catering facilities there are really good, they refurbished the café areas a couple of years ago and the pizzas are fab (but a bit expensive).

5. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 September 2017, 09:36
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

The YTM card IS the combined ticket.

OP, if you plan visiting all three then you should definitely get the YMT card, as you will save money, plus, you can re-enter each attraction as many times as you want.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
67 posts
315 reviews
7. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

Hi Bungle,

The YMT card is not the same as a combined ticket. The YMT card is a 12-month pass which gives you access to the three museums and an art centre for 12 months at a cost of £20 by direct debit. It's up to the individual if they think that is worth it but as the person posing the question is from Melbourne, Australia it's unlikely that they would get much use out of it over 12 months.

You can get DAY tickets for all three locations and these are completely different. As I am a person on a budget I wouldn't consider getting a 12 month membership card (which is essentially what the YMT card is and I have one) if I was only in the area for 3 DAYS. Especially given all the other sites that they are hoping to visit.

However as you clearly are (and you are in Kent I notice), other people may be reading this thread and would value more detailed information which I have just provided.

As someone local to York but not a resident (so not qualifying for the Residents card which is even cheaper), I value my YMT card and get good use out of it - there is a myth that us Yorkshire folk like a bargain/are tight with the pennies, so if I lived in Kent and was in the area for 3 days no way would I fork out twenty quid for a card I was unlikely to use- but it is up to the individual to decide for them what constitutes good value for money.

But I would offer this advice to anyone visiting our lovely county - if there is somewhere you have a burning desire to visit, look on the website (like I do when I am going away) and see what offers are available. York is a tourist destination for 12 months of the year and I have never known it to be quiet. We visit probably every other Sunday and it's always busy, even in the depths of winter, post-Christmas so "check before you travel" as the saying goes.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

I'm not sure where you are getting you info from? The ONLY combined ticket is the YMT card. The ONLY tickets available are the single entrance ticket, and the YMT card.

https:/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
90 reviews
9. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I will certainly look into the YMT card, sometimes it can be worth it, even if just for saving time. Maybe it is transferrable, as our daughter lives in London, so she would probably use it once we had finished.

I did look at the Yorkshire Museum too, but I don't think we will have the time. I want to make sure we allow enough time to just wander and soak in the town, rather than rush from Museum to Museum.

This is why I am hoping not to prebook. It is so much easier to just go when it suits us rather than being tied down to a specific time and day. However, while we are happy to queue for ten minutes or so, once it starts being much longer we waste too much of that precious time.

10. Re: Prebooking the Jorvik Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2018, 00:18