We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus routes and payments

Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
477 reviews
Bus routes and payments

Hi people

I'm trying to make sense of the York bus webpage. I gather there are at least three different bus companies in York (not counting the Park and Ride), and a daily pass can only be used on that a particular companies buses. Can I just pay the driver in cash? What does a single fare cost? (I'm looking to get from Blossom Rd to the Minster/Shambles area).

7 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,973 posts
1 review
1. Re: Bus routes and payments

Do you mean "Blossom Street". If so there's ZERO need for using public transport at all, just walk, it will take about 15-20 minutes

Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
477 reviews
2. Re: Bus routes and payments

Alan...that might be fine for you, but not for someone with a disability.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Bus routes and payments

Good luck printing this, but this is the map I consult (it looks as if you would need the 5/5A) Get the bus marked "strensall" to get to the Minster and "Acomb" to get back to your hotel/. Admittedly I have been to York a few times now, but I find this map useful:

https:/…York_Bus_Route_Map.pdf. Most of the buses seem to be run by "First".

I don't catch the bus regularly enough to make getting an app/multi/day ticket. A day ticket costs £4.40 in cash or £3.90 with the app. A ticket for the week would cost you £17 (£14 with the app).

NB this info might not apply if you are travelling further afield (but I did notice a bus tourists info man at York railway station info desks a couple of weeks ago),

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,973 posts
1 review
4. Re: Bus routes and payments

The buses don't go to the tourist areas, much of the centre of York is inaccessible to cars let alone buses

https:/…city_centre_disabled_access

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Bus routes and payments

If you do need to use the bus within the centre it's only £1 a journey on First buses which operate most of the routes you may need if you have problems walking

Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
477 reviews
6. Re: Bus routes and payments

Thanks for the responses, I think we're sorted.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
313 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Bus routes and payments

https:/…

There are some products that are valid on all Operators services in York. There is a Visitor Information Point within the York station travel centre plus the main Visitor Information Centre in Museum St, which can sell some of these. Or you can buy on line and download to a mobile phone. You receive a QR code which can be read by the bus ticket machine.

Edited: 14 August 2018, 15:32
Reply to: Bus routes and payments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York
Recent Conversations