We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford May 26-28 2018

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
16 helpful votes
Oxford May 26-28 2018

Hi, we (2 adults and a 8 year olf child)are planning to take a coach bus from Heathrow (9am) to Oxford on 26 May. I just realised that is half term holidays. Would like to know if there is anything to look out for?

Am interested to take a University walking tour, visit Christ Church hall and other Harry potter locations, Pitts River Museum/Natural History Museum, and Oxford Castle unlocked.

Will the hall be closed on Sundays? and how will admission hours be affected?

Also noted a lot of accomodations are booked out.

Would you have any advice on 2 nights accom if I am arriving via coach bus? And intend to pick up a car only on the 3rd day morning to drive to Cotswold?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
26 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Oxford May 26-28 2018

Christ Church College has its own website you can check for opening hours.

What is your budget for accommodation?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
91 reviews
84 helpful votes
2. Re: Oxford May 26-28 2018

Oxford will be very busy on Sundays in summer, however most of the tourists will be daytrippers so you will find a walk around the city in early evening a very pleasant experience - I've always thought the honey-coloured stone of the colleges is at its most beautiful in the evening light.

The Pitt Rivers museum is open from 10 - 4.30 on Sunday but only 12 - 4.30 on Monday (so you could plan to see the Natural History museum first). Note that the Ashmolean is closed on Mondays. Christ Church has limited opening hours on Sunday too chch.ox.ac.uk/plan-your-visit/opening-times.

Please tell us your budget (in UK pounds) for accommodation.

Singapore
Level Contributor
80 posts
45 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Oxford May 26-28 2018

Thanks a lot. I chked Christ Church website and it didn't indicate any closure.

Yes will plan to visit Pitts River Museum first.

Looking at less than GBP130 budget per night.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
91 reviews
84 helpful votes
4. Re: Oxford May 26-28 2018

For that budget you could look at the Premier Inn (outside the city, but an easy bus or taxi ride), the Buttery, The Remont, or some of the B&Bs in Headington.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
104 reviews
77 helpful votes
5. Re: Oxford May 26-28 2018

Also there's some B&Bs on the Iffley Road worth looking at. Only a 20 min walk into the centre or a short bus ride.

Reply to: Oxford May 26-28 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted