We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salisbury or Bath

Newcastle, Australia
10 posts
Salisbury or Bath

Where is the best place to stay for 3 days in Southwest England?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Salisbury or Bath

That rather depends on what you want to do and see !

If you are reliant on public transport, then Bath is more central, but also more expensive !

P-t-B

Newcastle, Australia
10 posts
2. Re: Salisbury or Bath

Thanks for this. I will have a car and was planning on using Salisbury as a base. Intend seeing Stonehenge and Bath in a day trip and then going to Torquay on another day. The balance will be spent around salisbury

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Salisbury or Bath

There is more on offer in Bath and still easy to do a day to Salisbury and stonehenge. Makes not much difference to your Torguay trip. don't know why you want to go to Torquay but for sightseeing I'd much prefer the Isle of purbeck. Not really an island, just a big lump that sticks out of the bottom of Dorset.

Sights include corfe Castle, Swanage, steam railway, studland, Lulworth cove, durdle door, Tank museum, Lulworth castle, tynham village and more. All can be googled.

Also not open to the public but the lar.gest on shore oil wells in Europe at Wytch farm.

Edited: 20 August 2015, 12:16
Salisbury
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Salisbury or Bath

If you stop at Salisbury, Bath is about an hour (Depending on traffic) away by car, so not to bad for a day trip, Or you could take the train just be aware there are some engineering works going on at bath spa so delays could be possible, Bath is lovely, a city but doesn't feel like one, Salisbury is also nice, make sure you go and see the cathedral. If you are planning on driving to Torquay the A 303 is the best route to Devon But don't go near the A303 near Stonehenge on a Friday as you will be sat in traffic for hours. or again take the train from Salisbury to Exeter st Davids and I think you can change there for Torquay.the whole train Journey takes 2.5hours, Let me know if you need any more help

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Salisbury or Bath

Salisbury's a city too ;-)

I think I'd stay in or around Salisbury if Bath is just a day trip. Wherever you stay, check on parking.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,984 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Salisbury or Bath

I think I'd choose Salisbury over Bath, and I would need a very good reason to go to Torquay! I'd take he advice in post 3 and go down to the Isle of Purbeck instead!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
285 reviews
7. Re: Salisbury or Bath

Parking is poor in Bath and Salisbury. Look at hotels that offer parking too and go with the best choice of hotel in either town. You may want to stay in a B&B in a charming little village in between like Westbury, Warminster or Frome.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Salisbury or Bath

Daytime parking is actually very good in Salisbury as it has a large central car park and 5 Park & Ride sites on the outskirts. However not all of the city centre hotels have their own parking bays, so if that is important to you, best check before booking.

P-t-B

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Salisbury or Bath

It depends what you enjoy doing. If it's urban exploration and history my money is on Bath. If you would like to be in a walkable, great little town (city of 10,000) with a good Saturday market, good food and plenty of impressive history, I'd pick Wells. From Wells you can bus it to Glastonbury and Street or Bath as it is between those places and it's less expensive than Bath. If you are staying in Bath and have three full days why not spend one of them out on a part or whole day tour like the Cotswolds or Stonehenge?

Edited: 08 October 2015, 18:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
10. Re: Salisbury or Bath

Why is Torquey a no-go for you, Rojblake?