We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

I will be bringing my 3 YO on a trip to Salisbury (1 night, 1.5 days). We're hoping to make a trip to Bath in the morning via train, and a trip to Stonehenge in the afternoon when we meet up with the rest of our party in Salisbury. I have a couple of questions. First, is Stonehenge okay for a mild-mannered 3 YO? We won't be spending hours there, but I anticipate he may be tired and a bit cranky from the time change.

Second, what accommodations on the coach are there for children of this age? We are taking the National Express from Heathrow to Woking and have been told that we can use the boosters provided on board, to be able to use the required seatbelts for the 3 YO. Is there such a thing on the coach to Stonehenge? Do these buses have seatbelts and boosters for little ones, or is it like buses in the US where there are no seat belts? It is unsafe to hold a child under your own seat belt like some people do, and we wouldn't be bringing a car seat for this trip, as we won't need it any other place (also, what would we do with it while we're visiting Stonehenge, anyway?). Normally he is in a convertible at home (rear-facing, even), but he's also tall (probably close to 38"/96 cm). I realize the odds of something happening on this short trip are very low, and that I may be overthinking this, but I want to be as safe as we can within reason, as well as follow the law in the area (which I believe requires seat belt use?).

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I have attempted to both call the company who provides the Stonehenge tour from Salisbury (can't make toll calls from my US cell phone) and email them (they haven't responded to my email inquiries).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

nationalexpress.com/Help-and-advice/coaches/…

All our coaches are fitted with seatbelts as standard, to make sure you have a safe journey. Most of our coaches feature children's booster seats, but if you own one, we recommend bringing it with you. Take a look at our safety guide for more information about travelling on one of our coaches.

and

nationalexpress.com/Assets/…5D.pdf

Edited: 24 September 2015, 10:15
2. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 13:09
Edited: 24 September 2015, 13:09
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,018 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

It is not worth coming to Bath for a morning: better to do Stonehenge as early as possible, then go to Bath, coming back on as late a train as possible - the little one can sleep on the train.

Bath is not a place to do in a couple of hours, it needs as full a day as possible: the Roman Baths (which knock Stonehenge into a cocked hat) need 2 hours on their own.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,651 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

The trip from Salisbury to Stonehenge is in a standard double-decker bus and does not involve any motorway driving.

There is no requirement to wear a seatbelt on these vehicles and I doubt they are even fitted.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

@RomanCitizen

I would love to spend the whole day in Bath. Not sure I can make it work, though. As a student of Roman culture and history, I desperately want to see the Baths, even if I am unable to see much else. That was basically my only plan in Bath. Early train to Bath, breakfast on board, in line for the Baths when they open, spend a couple hours there, then lunch and train back to Salisbury to meet the rest of my party who will hopefully be finished with their obligations by then.

Since the other person in my party only has the afternoon free that day, we thought we'd hit Stonehenge that afternoon. We'll be taking an evening train back into London that night. I guess it's possible we could do a full day in Bath instead of in London, and cut off one night hotel stay in London. We will only have 4 full days there as it is, though. I have been to some parts of England outside of London (Stratford-upon-Avon, Cotswolds, Warwick) before, but only a half day in London.

I'd like to think I'll have the chance to go back again some day, but I also really want to see the Baths! Maybe it's too ambitious for a morning, though. :(

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

@Amos H

Thanks, I saw that on their website already. My 3 YO is tall, so I am hoping that we should be able to use the booster seats they provide. The rep I spoke to this morning suggested that he should be able to use them. We have no need for a car seat on the rest of the trip, and I would have to buy one for travel, as our normal seat is WAY too heavy for me to manage. Also, he has outgrown by height and nearly by weight many of the super cheap seats often recommended for travel. :(

We could use a car service, but it seems they would be roughly $150+, and I'm trying to save our travel dollars for other things if possible.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

Two things, sadly you will not have time to see Bath in the morning and Stonehenge in the afternoon especially by public transport. It will probably take an hour by bus to get to Bath and an a hour to get back. So, if you left at 9am, arrive 10am then leave at 12, arrive back in Salisbury by 1pm and have some lunch. then get the bus to Stonehenge, which takes half an hour at least, queue to get in, see the Stones and get a bus back - you'll be knackered and have a grumpy toddler.

Stonehenge will be fine for him as he can run around easily although may not be interested in a bunch of fallen stones but will be much better for him than hours on buses and traipsing around Bath, which is always busy. Have you looked at the timetables for both these trips? They may not fit in with your plans.

You haven't said when you're coming but if it's soon, don't forget our clocks go back at the end of October and our days become very short and possibly wet and cold...

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,856 posts
235 reviews
8. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

I think your best idea, especially if you want to see Bath is to just do that, even if it means knocking off a night from London.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,018 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

I disagree that you cannot do this: the RBs open at 09:00 (09:30 Nov - Feb), provided you are there at opening time, allow 2 hours to see the baths (there won't be a quueue at opening time) back in Salisbury by 13:00. The RBs are 5 minutes walk from the train station.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,856 posts
235 reviews
10. Re: 3 YO on trip to Stonehenge from Salisbury

I think an adult might manage to do this, but I am not so confident about a three year old, who walks slowly, needs snacks and rests, and will almost certainly not be able to efficiently go through the whole of the Roman Baths.

Why watch a clock and a 3 year old all day! Enjoy what you want to!