We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
11 reviews
Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Hi. I've never been to either, but now I have English Heritage membership I've decided I need to get around to going. It makes sense to do both in one day (via the Stonehenge bus), but I'm coming from Kent and won't be able to get to Salisbury until at least 10:42 am, without getting up at silly o'clock in the morning (I'd have to catch a train at 7:33 as it is). I notice from tomorrow the closing time of Old Sarum is 5 pm, do you think I'd have enough time to do both in day? Bearing in mind that I'm someone who likes to spend the maximum amount of time at these places, and take in all the information about them that's available.

It would be a bit better if the bus called at Old Sarum first, because Stonehenge closes later, but it calls there on the way back to Salisbury.

So what do you think? Possible at this time of year, or should I leave it until next year when the closing time is put back again?

Thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,760 posts
69 reviews
11. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Yes, the haunch is very "HAND-y!"

Tee heee

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
11 reviews
12. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

>>If you enjoy the "old historic experience" as we do, you might enjoy an overnight at the Red Lion Best Western in Salisbury. It is a very old inn (1300s) with good ambiance, right in the center of Salisbury. Supposedly part of it incorporates an even older building that was built to house some of the masons who worked on the cathedral. We enjoyed our stay there this past June. We had hoped to have dinner at the very ancient "Haunch of Venison" nearby, but unfortunately it was closed for a private party.<<

Thanks, I'll check that hotel out. I have a BW Rewards card so that hotel would suit me.

>>Then you'll be able to enjoy Mompesson House (N.T.) in The Close as well. Really get your money's worth!<<

I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,235 posts
29 reviews
13. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Bungle. It looks like you are in for a treat. What a splendid excursion it shall be. I envy you, in a good way. Don't forget to have some ale or mead in the evening!

Yuri.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Going back to the original itinerary, if you caught the 11am bus from Salisbury, you would arrive at Stonehenge at about 1133. Most people spend about 2 hours at the Rockery but even if you spent 3 hours there, you would leave at 1443 and arrive at Old Sarum at 1503.

Old Sarum is actually a very small place, so an hour there should be ample. You therefore ought to be able to catch the tour bus at 1603 (or any of the numerous local buses that pass Old Sarum on their way into Salisbury).

So need for an overnight stop unless you want to visit the Cathedral and Mompesson as well.

Phil-the-Bus

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
11 reviews
15. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Thanks, Phil. I'll bear in mind. I did have in mind to do Salisbury as well, but on another trip, but maybe it would make sense to do it all at once over a few days.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
309 posts
106 reviews
16. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Hi Bungle, if staying the night in the area then Old Wardour Castle, in the same area and also EH, is worth a visit.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
769 posts
13 reviews
17. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

I'll also throw in Avebury with your EH membership-free parking, no entry fee either way. I personally prefer it to Stonehenge.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
285 reviews
18. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

Yep Salisbury, Old Sarum and Stonehenge will make a great day. Agree with The Haunch of Venison.

http://www.thestonehengetour.info has all the details.

If you only live in Kent then do Avebury and Woodhenge another day.

19. Re: Stonehenge & Old Sarum, in one day, from Kent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2016, 14:17