We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets 2015

Antigua
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Markets 2015

I'm travelling to Salisbury with my parents by car to the Christmas Market this year for the first time. We have a blue badge but I am looking for some advice/tips about what to expect as its our first time of going to the Christmas market. How long would you recommend we allow to have a good look around and is it worth coming later in the day when its dark - do the lights look good?

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

i was at the light turn on last week and it will not take you long to look at them

the christmas market other years it has not taken me long to walk around depends on what they are selling this year if you are planing to stay untill the evening thursdays are late opening for the shops

then if you dont find anything on the market you can still go around the shops

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

If you are around between 27-29th November then you may like to spend a day at the Portsmouth Historical Dockyard Victorian Christmas festival- see under concessions for disabled access and I believe that one can accompany a disabled person free of charge. historicdockyard.co.uk/events/event/496-vict…

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

To be honest, Salisbury's Christmas market is not worth a long journey to visit - it will only take you 20 minutes to walk round very slowly !

However, if this does not put you off, consider parking in one of the city's 5 Park & Ride sites which are well signposted as you approach the City. They are open every day except Sundays.

P-t-B

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

Agree with the others, but please tell me you will also be visiting the cathedral and view the magna carta as well? And generally make a day of it. (Stonehenge, anyone?) Then visit the market from about 3pm onwards so you get some time in the daylight, but also the 'warm' glow of it lit up as darkness descends.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,622 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
MALTA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

HI, we're also coming to Salisbury on Thursday 3 December, arriving by train from London hopefully before noon and stay for around 2 to 3 hours. As our main objectives being the Christmas Markets and the Festival of Light in Longleat, we will get a car in the afternoon and drive to Bath preferably before sunset. We will be back in Salisbury on Sunday around the same time and can get the train to London in the evening.

So is it possible to visit the Cathedral and see the magna carta on Sunday late afternoon after the Christmas Market?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Longleat
Longleat
6,951 Reviews
Warminster, UK
The Cathedral Hotel
The Cathedral Hotel
606 Reviews
Salisbury, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

I'd visit before the Christmas Market, as the cathedral closes to visitors by 4pm.

How many Christmas markets are you doing? I find they're pretty much the same these days, so you could get market overload!

MALTA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

Hi Gilliganuk,

We're most interested in the Bath Christmas Market, which we hope to visit on Thursday evening or Friday morning. So we take your advice and try to do Salisbury Cathedral first thing following our arrival from London and before we depart to Bath. We intended also to visit the Fisherton Mill Gallery, time permitting. Anyway we'll visit the Gallery on Sunday if it is still open till late afternoon. Otherwise, what else can we do on Sunday?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

salisbury park and ride be aware they shut before the shops do its not cheap to park in salisbury but if you are shopping you have the choice of carrying your bags with you all day or the long drag back to the park and ride each time you want to put something away i like the george mall car park as you pay for the time you are their and its in the center

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

Salisbury Park & Ride buses normally finish at about 6.30pm, but there are buses after that back to four of the sites (Beehive, Britford, Wilton & London Road).

Phil-the-bus

Mentioned in this post
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Wilton
Wilton
Salisbury, UK
London
London
England, UK
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Markets 2015

yes but ofton you will find that the gates are locked and they are unmanned as they are loseing money

but their is always spaces in them but there is a limit as to how many people are included in the park and ride ticket