We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I hire a taxi in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back?

Easley, South...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Can I hire a taxi in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back?

We will be in England in July. On one night, we'd like to get to Milton Abbey to hear our daughter's choral group give a concert at the Abbey (they will be the choir in residence at the Wells Cathedral one week and they are giving this general concert also). We are reluctant to rent a car. But if we get to Salisbury, I'd like to know if it is possible--and practical--to find a private car and driver or taxi who could/would take us to Milton Abbey and then, I guess, hang around, and bring us back to our B&B later that evening.

We've found folks who'd do that in other parts of the world, but I have no idea at all if it's feasible in this case.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Can I hire a taxi in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back?

If you google "Salisbury UK Taxi" you'll get a list of firms which would no doubt give you a quote if you ask them. I suspect the price would be pretty steep. It would probably be less from Poole, the nearest main centre to Milton Abbey. But, if you're starting from Wells or thereabouts, Poole isn't easy to get to by public transport (train from Westbury or Warminster and change at Salisbury and Southampton?). By bus or train, even Salisbury isn't easy to get to from Wells these days to be honest. The loss of bus and train routes has hit areas like mid-Somerset hard. Hiring a car would be a much easier option. The roads are single carriageway cross-country routes, but not usually particularly challenging to drive on. If you're worried about being on the "wrong" side of the road, you'll find that, so long as there's other traffic around, it's difficult to make a mistake. It may, however, be worth paying extra for an automatic. If you're not used to a manual gearbox it can be an added complication to have to change gear with your left hand.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Can I hire a taxi in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back?

That is going to be quite expensive - £200 - £275? (very rough guess) compared to car rental of what - £50 for a whole day which you could use to explore the beautiful scenery in that area.

3. Re: Can I hire a taxi in Salisbury to Milton Abbey and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2017, 01:17