We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

IS there a way to get from Salisbury to Stonehenge and back by bus? I don't want to do a tour but would like to do a short visit.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

A previous post:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,251 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

There is this bus. It calls itself a "tour" but it is really just a bus service, albeit one geared specifically to visitors travelling to Stonehenge.

Note that if you buy the combined travel and admission ticket on the bus you get priority admission when you arrive at Stonehenge, so you do not need a timed ticket.

www.thestonehengetour.info

Edited: 20 April 2016, 13:05
Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
2,267 reviews
3. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

Yes, it really is very simple using the link including timetable provided for you by wirewiper. Simply go to the car park just outside Salisbury railway station on the arrivals from London side. Some of the buses just visit Stonehenge, others include Old Sarum. Then using the times provided, make your own trip, it could not be simpler.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

There is otherwise no other 'ordinary' bus that goes to Stonehenge.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
5. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

This might be a bit late, last year we took a bus from Salisbury to Amesbury, then walked to Stonehenge. All I can say is wow wow wow. It was stunning, to walk through the fields and see Stonehenge in the distance was amazing. I would highly recommend walking there if you have the time and ability. It was a simple walk, the bus driver told us where to get off which way to go. Although I had google mapped it before hand. The down side was crossing the highway, but it was also no problem. I think the walk was about an hour maybe less. We ended up right at the rocks, took the shuttle to the vistory centre got our tickets and shuttled back. The security people said if we had printed our tickets beforehand we could have avoided having to go to the visitor centre entirely. Or just saw the stones from the otherside of the fence for free.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

Before everyone gets excited about following weigh2go's example, please be aware of the following:

- The buses from Salisbury to Amesbury (routes X5 and "activ8") pick up opposite the market square in Salisbury City Centre, which is a 15 minute walk from the train station.

- The walk from Amesbury to the stones is about 2 miles, most of it on road and uphill.

- When you get near to Stonehenge, you have to cross the busy A303 road. This road has a very poor accident record and at weekends can often be nose to tail traffic, so crossing it is not for the feint hearted (and certainly should not be attempted if you have young children in tow).

For this reason I would not recommend trying to visiting Stonehenge in this manner as it is too much hassle just to save a few quid on the normal tour bus fare.

P-t-B

8. Re: Public transport from Salisbury to Stonhenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2017, 00:16