We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PYG or Miners?

4 posts
PYG or Miners?

I have read up about the different paths and have narrowed it down to two. Me and my girlfriend are looking to climb snowdon mid February. We want good scenery and a challenging but not over challenging walk. We are both fit but as this is our first time we want a walk where it would be worth it for the scenery and views. Which path do you recommend?

12 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: PYG or Miners?

The Miners is slightly less gruelling than the Pyg.

I suppose you could walk up the Miners and back down the Pyg (or vice versa).

Do you need to get back to Pen-y-Pass or were you planning on walking down the Llanberis Path?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
2. Re: PYG or Miners?

The Miners Track is fairly level for quite a long way and then climbs steeply. The Pyg is a more steady gradient.

It's a matter of personal preference, but I'd pick the Miners to go up and the Pyg to come down, simply because I find steep descents hard on the knees. If you go on the Pyg be very sure not to turn off and find yourself on Crib Goch - not for the faint-hearted.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,198 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: PYG or Miners?

Hi,

Do you realise that the cafe does not open until mid March?

Also hope your map reading is good as the weather can deteriorate quickly and visibility can drop to just a few metres.

Hope you have a good walk.

Bob

4 posts
4. Re: PYG or Miners?

Yeah we will be taking a backpack with food and drink so no need to bother with the cafe. We will grab a map when we get there. Cheers.

4 posts
5. Re: PYG or Miners?

We are staying at the royal Victoria which is by the llanberis path I believe however we will not be walking down that path. How far is it from the pen-y-pass to the royal Victoria by the llanberis path?

Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: PYG or Miners?

Not the PYG or Miners paths, especially in February, when the mountain is still in the grips of Winter.

If you must attempt Snowdon for the first time, so early in the year, the only route i can confidently say that you would get up and down safely, is the Snowdon Ranger path, on the mountains southern side.

Walking in February, poses too many risks, snow, ice, poor visibility, and very short daylight hours.

The only route remotely safe in February up the highest mountain in England and Wales, is the Snowdon Ranger.

I run the Snowdonia Marathon every year, and the start line is less than half a mile from the Victoria hotel, and its roughly 4.8miles from Hotel to Pen Y Pass.

Far easier to stay at the Snowdon Ranger Youth hostel, and climb Snowdon using the Snowdon Ranger path.

Its the safest, and easiest route up the mountain.

Edited: 29 June 2017, 12:30
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: PYG or Miners?

You know that it's now June right?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: PYG or Miners?

I would definitely reinforce Peter L's advice about using the Snowdon Ranger path.

I would add my own comments that you need to be absolutely certain of the weather before you set out. In an average February at least half the days will be unsuitable so the walk/scramble might well be impractical (i.e. unsafe) for a week or more at a time. Mist/low cloud is probably the worst danger as it can come down almost instantly, is very disorientating (particularly if you aren't skilled in navigating using a map and compass) and, in February, will almost certainly be very cold. The short days present another danger as you don't want to get trapped on the mountain over night.

Make sure that you are properly equipped with survival gear, torches, a whistle, compasses and the 25" OS map, that you know how to call for help (you can't rely on a mobile signal) and that someone (e.g. the hostel warden) knows where you intend to go and when you hope to get back. Turn back immediately if conditions do turn against you or if you suffer even a minor injury.

Remember it isn't just your own lives you put at risk, you also risk the lives of the volunteers that turn out to rescue you.

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: PYG or Miners?

Guys, the OP clearly said they were going in FEBRUARY.

Why are you giving them advice at the end of June?

RTFQ!!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: PYG or Miners?

Didn't you read post #7? The OP's Snowdon trip was last February.

Reply to: PYG or Miners?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park
Recent Conversations