We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Snowdon solo in November

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Climbing Snowdon solo in November

I was due to walk up Snowdon next weekend with my friend however she can't come now. I was really looking forward to the challenge so am thinking of doing it on my own but just wanted to get peoples thoughts on whether that's a good idea. I'm a 32 year old female and fairly fit although have never done snowdon or any other mountain climb for that matter. I was thinking of taking the Pyg trail up and the Llanberis route back down.

I know November isn't the ideal time to do it but will there still be lots of other walkers around?

Thanks a lot

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

>although have never done snowdon or any other mountain climb <

This is the worrying bit. If you've never climbed a mountain and are not confident at using a map and compass so you can find your way even when the mist or low cloud rolls in, then you should wait until the summer.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
276 reviews
2. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

In November, days are short and the weather can be dangerous. With your lack of experience there is a real risk you could put yourself (and a rescue team) in danger. I'd strongly encourage you not to attempt the climb.

However there are plenty of much easier and IMHO equally enjoyable walks at low level. So you can still enjoy a day in the area.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

I've climbed Snowdon on that route in February - probably the worst month of the year to do it. But, I'd climbed the mountain twice before, can map read and use a compass and I climbed it with my husband. There was quite a lot of snow and ice higher up, which, on the Pyg track was a bit scary for me but safe. It was brilliant sunshine going up and for a while at the top, but the clouds did descend quickly as the afternoon went on. The very last part was in half light but we had torches (off course).

There were plenty of other people climbing but I wouldn't attempt it on my own in winter, especially as you haven't climbed it or any mountain before.

Many years before that I took my then 8 year old twins up - the Llanberis path, there and back as it's easier, and they managed it perfectly well but it was July! Wait until the summer as people die up there every year.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,632 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

If you have never done a mountain climb at all then you should not do your first one solo, or in November.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,314 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

The fact that you're even asking this makes me think you know the correct answer.

I agree with the others, it's a definite no.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
6. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

I would definitely wait until summer months. I have climbed Snowdon on the Pyg track and found it quite difficult. It was my first time mountain climbing and whilst you say you are fit i would not attempt at this time of year .

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,740 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

Do not attempt this. As said you will put yourself and others in danger.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

Thank you everyone. I’ll wait until the summer.

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
276 reviews
9. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

Good decision. We appreciate your letting us know what you decided.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,740 posts
478 reviews
10. Re: Climbing Snowdon solo in November

That's the right thing to do. There's a higher chance of good weather, longer hours of daylight, and there will be a lot mor epeople around.

Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park
Recent Conversations