We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

1 post
2 reviews
Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

Hi there

I'm in Bangor for a work trip next Friday and hate the idea of coming back to London without climbing Snowdonia. Having looked at previous threads on this forum, people are saying February is the worst time to climb. I'm not great with a compass either.

My best alternative is to go with a guide. I've checked online but looks like the guided groups only start in April/May. Does anyone know a guide or group who still runs now?

Edited: 28 January 2018, 09:29
12 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
446 reviews
1. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

Given the doubts implicit in your post, do not try to go on the mountains alone at this time of year with less than perfect skills. The reason there are no guided walks is that they presumably judge it’s not safe to take people on the mountain.......

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
2. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

Some days you could, some days you wouldn't want to, some days you shouldn't. Navigation shouldn't be too much of a problem if there's any sort of visibility, because you're always pretty close to the railway track. If it starts to get too much for you, you can always turn back.

If the forecast and ground conditions were OK, I wouldn't see why not. Have a look at

…gov.wales/visiting/…

Isolated stretches of snow. Recommended to have ice axe and crampons (and obviously know how to use them). There is more snow in the forecast mid-week. Not really a goer?

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
274 reviews
3. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

I live too far from Snowdon to know what conditions are like now. But you'll probably be facing ice and snow near the summit, making it a tough climb.

It takes about 6 hours to climb up and down the mountain. So if you start at 9am the earliest you will be down to Llanberis is 3pm, assuming you don't rest at the summit. Sunset is at 5pm, so you don't have much spare time if things go wrong.

With company it might be possible. But that's why there are no guided trips at the moment, it's too difficult. Remember if things go wrong, you're risking the lives of your rescuers.

My advice would be to possibly walk up a short way, or choose another walk at low altitude where you can enjoy the beautiful scenery in safety..

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,932 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

Please do not do this. Leave it for a much better time of year.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

Katie - I’m guessing that you mean Snowdon rather than Snowdonia?

We got very wet on Saturday walking elsewhere in The National Park. Then on Sunday, my son walked up the Miners Track and down the Llanberis path with a friend. Both are experienced walkers, and both remarked upon the amounts of ice at the top, the high winds and the wind chill factor. There were apparently people doing the hike in Converse boots, looking very uncomfortable. That’s just plain stupid!

Without wishing to spoil your trip, I’d agree with the others that this is one to miss, on your own in February. We did this one instead https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/images/maps… and it was excellent.

Mike

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
680 posts
173 reviews
6. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

The local weather forecast for Wales for the next couple of days was suggesting temperatures of minus 16 centigrade on Snowdon.

Chester
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

take a drive to Llandudno and go up the Great Orme, just follow the tram track.

Snowdon is a no go on your own.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,214 posts
89 reviews
8. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

.... and of course the cafe at the top of Snowdon is not open if you were hoping for a coffee at the summit.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,228 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

no, just no!!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend

>>> The local weather forecast for Wales for the next couple of days was suggesting temperatures of minus 16 centigrade on Snowdon.<<<

Cold, but not that cold**. I agree with all the posters advising against doing this solo though.

https:/…

** Edited. It's possible you were referring to wind chill/feels like temperatures, in which case I apologise.

Edited: 31 January 2018, 08:54
Reply to: Climbing Llanberis Path solo next weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park