We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast - Black taxi tour

Kitchener
Level Contributor
92 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast - Black taxi tour

Has anyone taken the Black taxi tour recently. I will be in Belfast for a day in mid May.

How long was the tour? What price did you pay?

Are the black taxi's there when the ship comes into port? If onyone knows this

Thanks for any help

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Ah now you've asked. We have a few black taxi drivers on this forum who will be itching for your business. There are a few different companies offer these tours and my suggestion would be to look into the various reviews for each of them on TripAdvisor and work from there. As always be wary of any companies who have lots of rave reviews by people who have only ever posted that one review. As for taxis meeting "the ship", is this a cruise ship, a ferry..? It'll depend on your answer.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
92 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

I'm arriving on a cruise ship. I don't know where exactly my ship will dock. it doesn't say on the initernary as opposed to other places the ship is going to. So I don't know if I can get into Belfast by bus, by train, by metro?

I'll do some searching. Do you have any suggestions as well?

Thanks for the tip as I do watch out for those "rave review". never can go by reviews though I post stuff myself.

Thanks again.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

I don't really know whether black taxis meet the cruise ships - perhaps one of our resident cabbies can advise? I don't think there will buses or trains down at the docks either. However if your cruise company doesn't have a shuttle bus to take people into the city centre (many of them do) you could always book a taxi by phone to get there instead. The taxi company I always use is Value Cabs (just because they're reliable and their rates are reasonable), whose number is 02890809080. Other local taxi companies are also available - check out a site like Yelp for more suggestions, or maybe the cruise company will have their own agreement with a local firm.

As for suggestions for taxi tours, I don't actually. I know this makes me deeply unpopular with the taxi drivers on here, but I've been on a few taxi tours now and they're just not my kind of thing. I do see the attraction - the city through the eyes of a local, only sharing the tour with your own group, etc - but I don't like making small talk with strangers and I find the the taxi tours emphasise "the troubles" a lot (which annoys me since there's so much more to the city than our dodgy past), so I personally prefer the anonymity and more balanced itinerary of the hop-on-hop-off buses instead. However that really is just my personal opinion and it's not to put you off in any way - I know everyone else seems to love the black taxi tours - I just wanted to explain why I don't have a personal recommendation is all.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Taxi tours will meet you at your ship .Tour companys have been supplied with details off all cruise ships by the Tourist Board.

It's best to pre book and as bridget say's look at the reviews and form posts.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 17:06
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Belfast visitor and convention bureau run free shuttle buses from all ships.The cruise companys let passangers think its their doing it but its not.

Their are 3 tours that cruise passangers take The first is a Causeway Coast Tour full day 8hrs. Cruise ship cost 199USD PER PERSON on a coach. Local cost £200 Total for up to 5 persons in a cab.

The second is a City sights 6hrs,Cruise ship cost 99USD Per Person,Local cost £140 per cab 5 persons.

Third is the Politcal History tour 2hrs Cruise ship cost 49USD Local Cost £15 each.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
92 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Thank you for the info

The problem is I'm travelling as a solo. Whether I meet up with people on the cruise and feel comfortable with them and getting a cab doing what you mentioned is one thing. If I don't meet who I want to travel with, it'll be cheaper for me to do the ships tour.

I have found the Black Taxis on the website and have sent an email. so i'll see what they say.

I may do the hop again hop off busses as Bridget suggests. The problem is, I need to know how to get to Belfast myself from where ever my ship docks and I don't know where that would be therefore I can't gage if there's a train or bus to go into town.

I will check with Value Cabs and see what they say.

any other suggestion you can think of let me know.

Thanks again.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Yikes - those organised trips are very expensive through the cruise ship!! Some useful info there BobbyW.

Yes, it would be worth contacting the likes of Valuecabs to see what they would charge for picking you up and leaving you off at the City Hall/Welcome Centre. Then you could get the HoHo bus tour - if you're here from 1st April, you can get off at the new Titanic exhibition and explore the city that way. There are organised free tours of the city hall as well. Easy to spend the day relatively cheaply yourself or at least get better value for money.

http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/

the-titanic.com/Titanic-Today/Attractions/Ti…

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cityhall/tours.asp

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

A free shuttle bus meets all ships at the dock and will drop you at the city hall, There will be reps from all tour buses at the city hall. McCombs / Minicoach run Public Causeway Tours from most cruise ships which is a great option for a solo traveler.

http://www.minicoachni.co.uk/

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

You can also check the Tour share requests on Cruise Critic.Their are a few on for the Causeway Tours, go to roll calls and enter your ship.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
865 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast - Black taxi tour

Yep, as Bobby says, there's absolutely no need to pay for a taxi from the ship into the City Centre, as the BVCB provide these free of charge.

If I'm not mistaken, they normally drop off at City Hall?

Get answers to your questions about Belfast