We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monifieth to carnoustie

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
115 reviews
Monifieth to carnoustie

I'm planning our visit to The Open next year and have found reasonably priced accommodation in Monifieth. My preference would be to stay in Carnoustie but it is 4 x more expensive at that time. I am assuming that the train would be a good option to get to the course from Monifieth? Would they run frequently (any knowledge from previous opens?) Roughly how long would this take?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance with this.

6 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

It's only 5 miles between the two. I'm sure they will run frequent bus transport between Dundee and the course, passing through Monifieth. . No need to use your car and as you know, it's on the main train line too. I'd plump for Monifieth if you have a good deal.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

There are occasional trains and more frequent buses this July. 13 mins by bus, 7 by train. I'm absolutely sure there will be 'open specials' but you won't get details until much nearer the time. That's what happened when the Open was last held in East Lothian.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
115 reviews
3. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

Thank you both for your prompt answers, I thought as much, but nice to hear it from "locals" :)

Carnoustie, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

Monifieth is a good option and very close (around 3-5 miles and 5 mins in a car) and has a train station and frequent bus links with Carnoustie. There is also an excellent cycle path (assuming you can source local bike hire). Takes around 15-20mins and saves queuing for local transport :) The cycle path runs along side the golf courses so likely to be some diversions.

sydney, australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
115 reviews
5. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

Thanks! That's great advice. I have secured our accommodation in Monifieth and can't wait!

Carnoustie, United...
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Monifieth to carnoustie

Hi pipenlea,

The number 73 bus (Stagecoach) runs between Monifieth and Carnoustie every 20 minutes daytime and then every hour after about 6pm. Here's a timetable - https:/…ESCOT_Strathtay_73.pdf It is doubtful that the Open trains will stop in Monifieth. The normal commuter trains will though. Details can be found here - https:/… - trains in the evening are few and far between. If you are traveling in the evening then bus or taxi would be your best option.

If you are coming to Carnoustie for the Open then there is local entertainment in the evenings planned in and around Carnoustie which visitors will be able to enjoy. For more information as to what is planned when it would be worth following the local OurCarnoustie Facebook page. They will help you out with any plans. The link is - https://www.facebook.com/ourcarnoustie/

Hope you have a great time when you come to visit the area and that the weather is great which it will be of course being the Sunny East Coast of Scotland.

Kind Regards

David

Reply to: Monifieth to carnoustie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carnoustie