We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

crerarhotels.com/ourhotels/loch_fyne_hotel/

Some friends of mine have just returned from this place, and I was puzzled that I'd never heard of it or seen any comments about it on TA.

They were not very complimentary, and so I looked at their website (above).

On the home page - 3 glowing references from TA or TA members,

To read the reviews it could be the best hotel in Scotland.

But on closer checking, most of the 65 glowing reports come from "one post members", and almost every single review has a management response.! Has anyone every seen such a level of interest in what TA peoiple think?

Again, on their home page - it claims "65 TA people say its excellent".

COME ON TA !!!! - it must be obvious that this place is using the TA name to promote itself.

It is clearly inviting guests to write reviews which the manager responds to within minutes. It then uses the TA name to say how wonderful it is.

IF THIS CONTINUES, IT MAKES THE REVIEWS A WASTE OF TIME, AND TA COMPLICIT IN PROMOTING THIS 'IFFY' HOTEL.

argyll, scotland
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

To be honest im quite surprised by this as they have spent alot of money on the hotel over the last couple of year's(new pool etc) and its ALWAYS busy. Friends of mine stayed there last year and said it was very good, so i wonder what has changed??

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Peter, in times of doubt I refer to the reviews on laterooms that are written by folk who have most definitely booked a stay at the hotels they are reviewing. Hope this link works:

laterooms.com/en/hotel-reviews/84171_loch-fy…

There are 46 reviews for the property. They are a bit mixed and the low referral percentages would probably mean me giving it a miss should I ever be in the area:

"67% recommended this accommodation to a friend

69% would stay again"

I'm all for there being management responses on TA where appropriate, but the number of responses for this hotel are complete overkill and likely to raise the suspicions of anyone reading the reviews. I think its counter-productive for the hotel, but that's just one person's opinion.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Thanks both. Maybe I over-reacted (I also put a post in 'Helping us make TA better' forum), but my friends were really disappointed, and couldn't understand why TA is happy for their name to be used as a recommendation.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Hi

I stayed at the Loch Fyne in June and thought it really was OK ( I gave it 3'stars'without any prompting from the hotel). But it was looking at the reviews for this and the George Hotel that prompted me to post about hotel reviews and the 'one post wonders' who either rave about or are scathing about hotels. There seems to be a competition in Inverary between the George and the Loch Fyne to get the No1 hotel in Inverary spot!

It is not just in Inverary ,I think it is a problem in a lot of places where small hotels are competing for business and people are realising how many travellers use tripadvisor and similar websites.

Could tripadvisor not indicate on reviews how many posts a person has made so that you don't need to go into their profile to check it out?

Fi

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Hi I think people who use TA a lot realise that there are many false reviews and will check out a hotel by other means too but I suggest you look at the New Zealand forum and the topic Hotel Busted for False Reviews - it had moved to page 2 last time I looked.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

To be fair Peter there are some bad reviews which the management has responded to also. I think it's a good thing that a hotel manager reads reviews and takes the time to respond. I guess they are not gonna sy 65 TA people say its excellent and 30 say its crap. It's also not the first hotel I've seen where management try to respond to all comments.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

Hmm. Just looked at the George hotel (#1 in Inveraray!).

There does seem to some competition there, in terms of polarised reviews.

ho hum

8. Re: Loch Fyne Hotel - very iffy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2010, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Inveraray
Recent Conversations
More Inveraray Topics