We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips

I'm planning a trip to Scotland in late September and was wondering if anyone knew of any day trips outside of Edinburgh that are interesting. Just looking to get off the beaten path a bit.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

Try Linlithgow (home of Mary queen of scots) its an historic town with some nice boutique shops and cafés. There's a lovely loch and palace there too . Also south queensferry is nice, not much there but you could have a nice lunch and get some great photos of the 2 bridges. Both of these are easily accessible by train (20 minute journey).

Slightly further away is north Berwick which is a coastal town.

How about Glasgow for the day? It's only 45 minutes away by train too.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

I think it would be best if you tell us where your interests lie, otherwise we'll fire off suggestions you're not going to take up ...

A route through East Lothian could include North Berwick and nearby coastal villages and beaches; Dunbar (harbour, John Muir); St Abbs Head (cliffs, bird life); Eyemouth (historic fishing town); Berwick (border town, history). Perhaps south of Berwick to visit Lindisfarne, Holy Island.

The return could be up the tweed Valley, through any or all of Kelso, St Boswells, Melrose, Galashiels, Selkirk, Innerleithen, Peebles, striking off northwards at some point to return to Edinburgh. Lots and lots of ruins of abbeys and castles. Traditional Scottish borders towns, some pretty, some more workaday but all with interesting places if you Google. On the way Floors castle, Mellerstain, Traquair: elegant historic buildings with gardens.

That would be a pretty full day out!

http://www.visiteastlothian.org/home.asp

…visitscotland.com/vs/…home.html

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

I should have asked: driving a car or looking for public transport?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

We would be taking public transport. I guess to be more specific I'm looking for anything within 90 minutes or so of Edinburgh. We'd be going in late September/ early October (so quite a ways in the future, I know), but other than that I can't give more details since I don't know what the options are. Just looking for suggestions really, though I do love ruins and coasts.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

Plenty of options - as well as Linlithgow (mentioned) and a curtailed version of Derek's round trip (either North Berwick or the Tweed Valley), St Andrews, Perth, Stirling and Glasgow are all entirely practical. Excepting the Tweed Valley, where there is no railway line, the train will get you to all those destinations in around an hour.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips

Hi,

When you say you want to get off the beaten path - do you mean you don't want to visit anywhere busy/popular?

I would have suggested St Andrews, North Berwick, Peebles, Stirling or Glasgow, but all of these places are busy and popular. They are busy and popular because they are interesting, attractive, scenic and pleasant places to visit. But they will not get you off the beaten path.

For the path less travelled, how about a trip to the Pentland hills for some hill-walking? Or somewhere like Dunfermline in Fife - it has an Abbey, Carnegie Hall etc - but is not often high up on tourists' agendas. Easily reached by train from Edinburgh.

Abs :)

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips

Awesome, thanks for all the great ideas!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips

I'm going in August and this site looked interesting. It is a company that does day trips. The one that Caught my eye is the one to Anstruther that stops along the coast at the different fishing villages and St. Andrews.

rabbies.com/tours_scotland_edinburgh/…

9. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:15