We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

I want to do the walk on the road (Queen's Drive?) that takes you round Arthur's Seat. Where do I start from and how do I get there on public transport from Edinburgh City Centre? And on a Subday too!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

If you walk to the bottom of the Royal Mile outside Holyrood palace/ parliament, the road starts right there and goes all around the park. Otherwise you can join the road from beside the Royal Commonwealth pool. Lothian Buses numbers 2, 14, 30, 33 and 48. For timetable and fare information visit the Lothian Buses website

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

If you enter Holyrood park from beside the Palace, it is easy to walk from the city centre - it's right at the bottom of the royal mile.

Www.mybustracker.com is another useful website, if coming from further afield.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

Queen's Drive can be a circular walk, though the higher part of the road circles South of Arthur's Seat (and provides the easiest route up Arthur's Seat, going up the grassy slopes at Dunsapie Loch.. You can do the full circle in which case see above. Buses 35 and 36 either go past or stop at Parliament.

Alternatively consider these possibilities for entry or exit, breaking the walk up.

The one-way part of the road starts next to St Margarets Loch and this is accessible either from Holyrood, or from an entrance at Meadowbank (4 5 15 26 44 124 253 buses)

Duddingston Village is at the S.E. corner of the park, and a #42 bus passes nearby. a 5-minute walk from the bus to the park gates, along some georgian and victorian streets. The Duddingston Inn claims to be the oldest in Scotland, maybe the universe. But id does have nice food and beer. Inside the park gates you have Duddingston Loch, a bird reserve, and Jacob's ladder, a stepped path which takes you to the Queens Drive near Dunsapie loch.

The one way part of the road ends at a roundabout at the S.W. of the park, and there's another entrance here. By walking back along Holyrood Park Road to Dalkeith Road or S Clark Street you have many buses into Edinburgh centre (2 3 5 7 8 29 30 31 33 37 47 49 51 52)

Consider the Radical Road rather than the road between that last roundabout and parliament. This is a landrover track that runs along the base of the cliffs at Salisbury crags, starting not far from the last named roundabout and dropping down to the road near Holyrood. There is a grassy footpath along the top of the cliffs. Both are more pleasant than walking a roadside.

Queen's drive has a good pavement throughout, if that's relevant.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

This map is from a site about running routes, but you are allowed to walk. The map shows you some of the ways up and down and round about that we've been talking about, along with ways to the top of the hill.

…ed.ac.uk/jjarvis/running/worldcross/Holyroo…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
988 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

If coming from the city centre or Stockbridge, I suggest taking bus 36 to the terminus at Holyrood (outside the Scottish Parliament and Palace of Holyroodhouse), then you're close to the start of the footpath leading up Arthur's Seat.

6. Re: How do I get to Arthur's Seat on public transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:16