We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

4 posts
Save Topic
Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Hi,

I and my wife will be spending our 1st trip to UK. Our draft itinerary:

London (4 days) - Oxford - (1 day) - Bath (1 day) - Wales (2 days) - Edinburgh (5 days) - London (2 days). I'd like to get the following advice:

1. What is the best way to go to Edinburgh? From Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh?

2. If we start from Cardiff or London, what is the best transport in terms of cost and speed? By train or plane? Kindly share the train line or airline.

Appreciate your inputs. Thank you

Inconel

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Flybe run several flights a day from Cardiff to Edinburgh - flight time 1hr 30 mins

By train it's 7 hours-ish. Several routes and operators, with at least a couple of trains an hour between them. Use the National Rail site to plan the journey - it will show them all. There will be at least one change, the easiest of which is Cheltenham Spa - stay on the same platform for the Edinburgh train.

London - Edinburgh - city centre to city centre is best by train - East Coast trains operate the route

If you are happy to land up in Edinburgh it may be worth travelling by train from Cardiff to London, spend your couple of days there and continue by train.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,336 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Agree with what Dzug said. You can also fly from Bristol on Easyjet. How are you travelling around between these cities, will you have a car?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Family and business matters have me making these journeys relatively often.

As dzug says, if you are going to or from central London, the train is easily the best option. It's as fast as flying, is easier and, once you take all the costs into account, usually cheaper.

From south Wales, the train journey to Edinburgh takes significantly longer and involves changes, so I usually fly. If you are returning a hire car there, Cardiff airport is fine, but getting there by public transport is a pain. For that reason, I usually fly through either Bristol or Birmingham.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

The Kings Cross to Edinburgh is the easiest train journey by far, at just over 4 hours. And it competes in price and total time with Heathrow to Edinburgh by air. Unless you happen to be near Heathrow already.

There is no good way of getting to Edinburgh quickly by car. Both routes involve tedious motorway journeys or very awkward journeys through lots of towns if trying to avoid motorways. Both take a day (7 hrs travel plus breaks) and will leave you tired the next day.

In other words in in Central London, use the train. If in Cardiff, fly.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Agree with above - Cardiff (fly) London (train) and would also add its worth considering the sleeper train to Edinburgh from London which saves a hotel room cost for 1 night too, and get you into central Edinburgh in time for breakfast.

Scot Rail run this and you can read more here scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

PS

I have taken the train from Cardiff to Manchester before (much closer than Edinburgh) and that in itself, was a long and arduous journey so definitely would not suggest train all the way to Edinburgh!!

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful inputs. We will be travelling between cities by train except cardiff to edinburgh which which will be flybe.

Regards,

7. Re: Cardiff to Edinburgh or London to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 01:17