We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

We are on the 8/16/11 British Isles Cruise on Princess Cruise's Crown Princess. Our stops in Scotland are Edinburgh and Glasgow. We don't want to miss all the sights of Edinburgh but also want to see St. Andrews. What are the options, other than driving ourselves, to make the Glasgow to St. Andrews day trip within the limits of our cruise stop (7 AM to 6 PM)?

Thank you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

You'd have a lot more chance of doing it from Edinburgh than Glasgow which is on the other side of the country from St Andrews - and you dock at Greenock which is even further away.

As for Edinburgh it all depends where in the Firth of Forth you actually dock - Leith or South Queensferry

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

I'm confused. Is the St Andrews day trip organised from both Edinburgh and Glasgow or just from Glasgow? If so I'd take that one. Trying to organise your own trip to St Andrews could be a problem as you'd need to take a train then a bus, and if your connections fail you could miss your boat.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Rereading your post it's going to be virtually impossible to get from Greenock to St Andrews and back in the time available - as I recall you'd have to take a train or bus into Glasgow then a coach to Dundee before a local bus to St Andrews. Even from the centre of Edinburgh it's 90 minutes each way - longer if you are coming from Leith, shorter from South Queensferry.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Even if you hired a car at Greenock which is the cruise ship terminal for Glasgow, it would take around 2hrs 15mins to drive to St Andrews.

My suggestion for the Greenock docking would be to either take an organised tour from the cruise line of which I believe they do one to Inveraray and the Trossachs or take the Train up to Glasgow and do the Hop on/hop off bus tour, trains from Greenock are 2 per hour and it only takes 42 mins at a cost of around £7 return.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

We have a day trip scheduled in a 6-passenger van through a tour company in Glasgow. We will be picked up at the dock at 8 AM, spend a total of 12 hours to return to the ship at 8 PM. We'll have a scenic tour on the way to St. Andrews, 2-3 hours at St. Andrews, then a quick drive via the motorway back to the ship. There are two places still available at 100 GBP each.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Am confused now. You plan to be back at Greenock by 8pm and the ship sails at 6pm?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

No, the ship sails at 2 AM

Edinburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

You can get a train from Greenock to Glasgow (about 20 mins) then a train from Glasgow Queen Street to Leuchars (2 hrs) stop for ST Andrews. Bus to St Andrews 15 mins. So figure 3 hrs travel at each end. The last train to get back from Edinburgh to Glasgow is 11:30. Then you need to get to Greenock. IF by chance you missed the Greenock train, a city taxi would cost you about 50 quid.

thetrainline [dot] com

city taxis 0141 557 1110

I live here.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Thank you, but we are lined up with Discover Scotland Tours for our day trip and will be back to the Crown Princess by 8 PM.

windsor,ont.
Level Contributor
39 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow Day Trip to St. Andrews

Sounds like we are also on your cruise and wanted to visit St. Andrews and Edinburgh Castle. Sounds by the posts it would be easier to get there from Edinburgh. I realize your trip is organized just wondeed why you didn't go from Edinburgh. Do you have another trip planned from there. Trying also to book independent trips and are up to planning Glasgow. Sounds like a long journey.

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow