We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

country scenery

windsor,ont.
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
country scenery

Arriving on crown princess at grennock on August 22 2011 at 7am departing at 2am. Would like to see some of the countryside Loch Lomond, Highlands etc. Any recommendations or suggestions please. Tours etc. Much Thanks.

Discover Scotland Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rabbie's
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Timberbush Tours Glasgow - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Stravaigin Scotland
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: country scenery

Hi there, In my opinion the Highlands would be too far for comfort, not just because it would be something of a whistlstop trip, but because it takes you so far away from your cruise ship. Then again I can understand if you want to go for it and get the most out of your time ashore.

There are quite a few private tour guides who come highly recommended, such as Craig McCall Flynn's Mini Tours (has many fans on Tripadvisor) but they tend to get booked up way in advance. If he's booked perhaps he'll be able to suggest someone else.

If you are happy to go it alone, you could get a train into Glasgow, quite a popular option with fellow cruise passengers, then another train to Loch Lomond. You could do a morning at Loch Lomond then an afternoon at one of Glasgow's lovely parks and/or museums before heading back to Greenock.

If you'd like to take a closer look at the train option as far as cost and timings go, check www.nationalrail.co.uk

hope that helps

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: country scenery

Is the ship offering any tours?

In the past someone mentioned a tour to Loch Lomond and Inveraray which their ship was offering at reasonable cost.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: country scenery

The Highlands start at Loch Lomond. You don't need to go hundreds of miles. Glasgow is surrounded by great scenery. Even Greenock has great views...

windsor,ont.
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: country scenery

Thank you so much. Craig is all booked up. We may do the train as it looks like our best option. Whatever we do we will have a Wonderful time

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: country scenery

Would you hire a car?

I can give you a circular route of less than a hundred miles (say three hours driving) which will take in some pretty wonderful scenery. With stops for photos and lunch it will make for a great day out

We did it with my brother-in-law and his wife just a couple of weeks ago

I'd volunteer to come and pick you up but sadly we live in flat old boring Cambridgeshire these days

windsor,ont.
Level Contributor
42 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: country scenery

I think driving on the left side could cause a problem. We live in Ontario which is lovely but flatter than flat. Thank You though that could have been an adventure.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
39 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: country scenery

I was recently at Balmaha, Loch Lomond, got a boat across to a small Island (Inchcailloch). It's lovely there, with a small bay which is great for swimming (if you get the weather). There's also a buriel ground on the island.

Balmaha has a nice wee pub that does quite nice food as well (Oak Leaf).

Plenty of walks in the Balmaha area too.

8. Re: country scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 09:19