We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

I am going with my daught. in Sept. to drop her at uni in Scotland for her first year. We are coming into Glasgow, and spending 3 nights there at a small hotel. (Also need to visit Ikea, etc.) We visited Edinb. a couple of years ago (loved The Fringe!). We need to end up in St. Andrews. We want to go everywhere we've read about, but sadly have only 5 additional days. I plan on renting a car. Not strong preferences, but would like to visit some islands, see a bit of ancient ruins, some small towns, and perhaps another city (wish we could get o Orkney but seems too far.) Quests we have are:

1) Where best to spend our time?

2)Should we get reservations in advance, or can we wing it?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

Try Mull or Arran on the west coast. Easily accessible. You could also visit Stirling for a day, good castle and the Wallace monument.

Hope you have a big car if you are going to Ikea - easy to fill it up! ;-)

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

How about something along these lines?

day 1 leave Glasgow on M8 headed for Greenock

soon after Glasgow Airport pick up signs FOr Erskine Bridge

this takes you over the Clyde and now simply follow the A82 for

Dumbarton, Balloch, Loch Lomond, Crianlarich, GLencoe, Ballachulish, Fort WIlliam

overnight in Balachulish\FortWQIlliam area

day 2

morning drive to Mallaig and catch ferry to Armadale on Skye

afternoon exploring Skye

overnight in Skye

day3

most of the day in Skye then take bridge back to the mainland

at Kyle of Lochalsh

overnight at Plocton

day 4

round Loch Carron towards Torridon but leave the 'main' road to take the mountain pass route to Applecross

Sustenance at the Applecross Inn then follow the coastal road round to Shieldaig

Be sure to leasve the road and drive thru Shieldaig - great ice cream just as you enter the village and the pub has a terace with wonderful views if the weather is kind enuf to let yo sit out

At Torridon take time to do the detour fown to Diabaig and back

Then on to Kinlochewe to overnight

day5

Head for Invverness then pick up A9 south to Pitlochry and Perth then acroos to St Andrews

The Moulin Hotel in Moulin near Piclochry would be a good stop for lunch

Its quite a lot of driving but the scenery is wonderful more or less all the time

(more like driving from Carmel to San Luis Obsipo than a boring session on the freeway)

and you could easily compact it and arrive in St Andrews a day earlierif need be

booking in advance takes away flexibility but ensures yo udonr waste time looking for accommodation

That said i dont think you will have a problem finding places - Bed & Breakfasts will be everywhere - pubs ithe rooms are a good choice if a bit more expensive

It you want to do something a little less ambitious the following are all wonderful ideas

hug the Ayrshire coast via Largs and Ayr to Maidens and Wildings

consider the inland islands such as Bute and Arran (google CALMAC to get the ferry sight which will show you a range of hop-on-hop-off options)

drive thru Helensburgh and Rhu to the Kilcreggan peninsula and back via Balloch

The Trossachs (area arounf Calendar)

Inveraray and Oban

Let me know if you would like more specific info on anywhere

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

Depending on where your hotel is in Glasgow that could be a long route to get to the A82.

Certainly a good selection of places but a lot of driving.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

These are all great suggestions and much appreciated! Thank you! And others are still welcome!

We do have a larger car so we can haul what we need from Ikea and what we are bringing over.

Our hotel is Malmaison in Glasgow; will map it and see-can't recall exact location at the moment. Booked it because it looked fun, decent location from what I could tell, and had a great online deal I found a month ago. I don't mind driving and we generally like scenery and varying locales, but am a little nervous about the UK driving, but hope I will adjust quickly! Don't really see that I have a choice, at least not on this first trip.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

The Malmaison is nice, although there is no on-site parking. There are a couple of car parks within walking distance.

Location is handy for Sauchiehall Street and all that it offers, also close to the Art school for a bit of Charles Rennie Mackintosh architecture. You are only a few minutes away from the West End too with Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Byres Road and the Botanic Gardens.

If you do fancy heading up to Loch Lomond then the A82 is easy to get onto, by heading towards Charing Cross, no need to head across the Kingston Bridge and out towards the motorway.

UK driving is fine, "wrong" side of the road apart, just take your time and if possible plan your routes before you set out.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

Thank you for the info, seesadee..and the driving encouragement. I'm not starting the car rental until the end of our Glasgow time, and will most certainly plan my routes out in advance. And I think we will head up to Loch Lomond and more or less follow the route set out by beeble 1022 (Thanks, beeble1022 so much for the detailed suggestions!), so good to know getting to the highway won't be a terrible hassle..

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

Thank you for the info, seesadee..and the driving encouragement. I'm not starting the car rental until the end of our Glasgow time, and will most certainly plan my routes out in advance. And I think we will head up to Loch Lomond and more or less follow the route set out by beeble 1022 (Thanks, beeble1022 so much for the detailed suggestions!), so good to know getting to the highway won't be a terrible hassle..

Edited: 05 August 2011, 21:38
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

Enjoy your trip. Where are you collecting your car from?

Are you doing Ikea just before you head off to St Andrews?

Edited: 06 August 2011, 02:54
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

I'm having trouble finding an automatic (I'm not a good manual driver) anywhere except the airport, so I reserved one there but am still looking to find something closer in town. I think we will go to Ikea at the end. We know Ikea well and have listed everything we need, so a couple of hours there should be all we need. Any car rental places/locations I should perhaps check?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip pre-start of uni-where to go for 5 nts beside Glag/Edin

There are a few places down on the Clydeside, Lancefield Quay area which would only be a ten minute taxi ride from your hotel.

Companies include, Thrifty, Hertz, Avis, Enterprise