We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip to Kyle

Karachi
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train trip to Kyle

Hi everyone,

I would be visiting Inverness this week and a friend has suggested that I should include a train trip from Inverness to Kyle in my itinerary, saying that it is a very scenic journey.

Since i would be staying at Inverness for only 3 nights, this would have to be a same-day-return journey

Would appreciate some feedback on the following questions please:

Where to get the train tickets from? Is it preferable to book the tickets online or can one get these at the station?

Where can i see the train's schedule ?

Any tips for the train journey? e.g. which seats to choose, if I can; or anything else that others might have learned from this trip and feel worthwhile to share as a travel tip?

Once I get to Kyle, what options would I have to explore the city, given that I would need to take the return trip the same day?

Many thanks in advance for the great help that one always gets from the wonderful people on this forum.

Regards

Sohail

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
11 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trip to Kyle

It is a scenic line and the trip is worth doing, IMHO.

Here's the timetable: https:/…_sr1705_north_highlandsv2.pdf

You can buy tickets in advance (online) or at the station on the day. It might be cheaper if you buy in advance. Also, you automatically get a reserved seat with an advance booking.

Kyle of Lochalsh is a village, not a city, and it wont take long to explore it! But I would be inclined to get off at Plockton rather than going all the way to the end of the line. Plockton is a pretty village and a pleasant spot to enjoy a walk, if it's a nice day.

Mentioned in this post
Kyle of Lochalsh
Kyle of Lochalsh
Lochalsh, UK
Plockton
Plockton
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,133 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trip to Kyle

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Slightly cheaper if you buy 2 single tickets in advance but it will only save you £6 on the anytime day return (£25.40). There are only 4 trains a day but since you are going this week I don't think advance tickets are available now.

>>Once I get to Kyle, what options would I have to explore the city,<< City?? LOL it is a small village. you could spend a couple of hours walking around, maybe get some lunch, walk the Skye Bridge and take the train back.

Edited: 04 September 2017, 02:38
Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Karachi
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train trip to Kyle

Many thanks dear Dhmellor and RonaldoC for the very useful feedback

Best regards

Sohail

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train trip to Kyle

This is a Video of the journey, you will see that the scenery gets better as the train goes west, the suggestion

to get off at Plockton is a good option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72METbvFqw

Mentioned in this post
Plockton
Plockton
Ross and Cromarty, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train trip to Kyle

You are to late for cheap advance fares, I just checked and a ticket bought today is the same as one booked this coming Thursday (£25:40)

Therefore just buy on the day if you decide to make the trip.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,064 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train trip to Kyle

.... but you still get a reserved seat if you buy a ticket in advance, even if its no cheaper.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train trip to Kyle

From the ScotRail booking page;

Request a Seat (tick box)

Note: Seat preferences are not guaranteed!

Also when you go further, you are not reserving a particular seat, just window, Aisle, forward/rear facing, table etc etc!

The OP doesn't know what a Class 156 or 158 looks like so wouldn't know if any particular seat had good views or not, they may be allocated a seat with a window pillar right at their head?

I would just board the train 10 minutes before departure and pick a good seat!

Edited: 04 September 2017, 05:31
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train trip to Kyle

Definitely get off the train at Plockton and spend the few hours you'll have there, rather than at Kyle. EXecellent food at The Shores, the Plockton Inn or the Plockton Hotel. Depending on timing, you could also take a trip on Calumn's Seal Boat.

PS neither Plockton or Kyle are cities!

Mentioned in this post
Plockton
Plockton
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Plockton Inn
Plockton Inn
534 Reviews
Plockton, UK
Plockton Hotel
Plockton Hotel
548 Reviews
Plockton, UK
Shetland Islands...
Level Contributor
258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train trip to Kyle

The use of city is an example of where US and UK definitions differ. In the US a city is an incorporated municipality (ie a town council). In the UK a city is a major urban area or a town with a cathedral.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,954 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train trip to Kyle

Hmm, not entirely accurate!

City Status is a rare mark of Distinction granted by the Sovereign and conferred by Letters Patent, only the Queen can decide who becomes a City!

Because of this peculiarity there is a discrepancy between the common meaning of the word CIty and the official meaning!

Reply to: Train trip to Kyle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted