We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness from north east england

durham
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
Inverness from north east england

Hi

I'm looking to travel up from the durham area in feb

Hoping to travel via train this time

What is the best route ? Is it via edinburgh or from glasgow ?

Looking for cheap rail travel but not available yet.

2 adults travelling fri - sun

What are prices I should be paying ? I can get to edinburgh & glasgow cheap it's just the journey into inverness I need help with

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,141 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Inverness from north east england

Via Edinburgh would be my pick. Also from Newcastle as there are direct trains to Inverness a few times per day from there at around £30 each way pp and they are Virgin long distance ones so more comfortable and with real first class if that is your bent.

If you travel together often then also look at a two together railcard.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,141 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Inverness from north east england

Sorry was too late to edit. Only one direct train from Newcastle to Inverness per day and most of the nice scenery will then be in the dark so probably not a good option.

durham
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Inverness from north east england

Thanks for reply.

We have that railcard.

Looking at 2nd feb. I can book to edinburgh on an advance ticket but can't get the advance ones from durham or newcastle to inverness

Looks like I be better booking to edinburgh than booking seperate tickets onto inverness. But looking at the advance tickets from edinburgh to inverness gets me in to inverness too late ! Wondering will scotrail have some of the advance tickets coming on sale soon

Virgin release there advance upto 24 weeks before travel on weekday

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,141 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Inverness from north east england

I would just wait until fares become available. Virgin only do that 24 week thing on the Kings Cross to Edinburgh route but you might get a better deal by splitting the tickets. You can get fares from EDB to INV from £5. If you want to use the railcard then you will need to take the first off peak train to Edinburgh around 10:10 getting to EDB by 12 or so. Of course the railcard will only save you about £6 on that section so you can also opt for an earlier peak train and take an earlier train to Inverness from there arriving around 14:15

durham
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Inverness from north east england

That's great thanks for info!!

Railcard my partner has is disabled adult so both of us get 1/3rd off

Does the railcard mean we can't use peak trains ? If so that's ok as the advance tickets are cheap enough without getting 1/3rd off

Do this journey last year in the car via fort william and returned back to durham via aviemore and east coast the scenery was stunning !

We loved inverness and wanted go back straight away 😀

Looking at hotels now and there's so much choice !

Any recommendations ?

My friend and his partner are flying up from manchester so there be 4 of us (2 couples )

Thanks

6. Re: Inverness from north east england

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2018, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Inverness