We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Hello! We were planning to take the Scotrail from Inverness to Edinburgh. Checking the route and it doesn’t seem to travel the beautiful coastline. I was reading somewhere about another train, a steam train, but can’t find good info.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
17 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Train, Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh

Taxi to Armadale on Skye

Ferry to Mallaig

Jacobite or (more likely) diesel train to Fort William

Train Fort William to Glasgow

Train to Edinburgh

In summer, with long evenings, most of the journey will be in daylight. During winter, the scenery will be less exciting due to it being dark :-)

These train routes down to Glasgow have an international reputation for scenery. The ferry route to Mallaig has excellent views up Loch Nevis to Sgurr na Ciche, and also south-westwards to the small isles.

The alternatives are Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh or the direct route Inverness to Edinburgh, and that's what earlier posters seem to be concentrating on. If you want west coast scenery, you CAN do it by train (well almost all of it). More costly, and takes longer - but very possible.

Edited: 08 October 2017, 17:41
Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Kyle of Lochalsh
Kyle of Lochalsh
Lochalsh, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

There never was a coastal rail route on the west coast from Inverness to Edinburgh for Beeching to close - you can't close what was never there in the first place!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Hello RabtheCairn Terrier,

My post does not mention a coastal route from Inverness to Edinburgh, but "the coastal train route down the west coast was closed in 1966" which was the route from Callander to Oban, with a branch line to Ballachulish, which included the referenced station at Kentallen:

https:/…Callander_and_Oban_Railway

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Callander
Callander
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Ballachulish
Ballachulish
Glencoe, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Perhaps Sandra and Alan were referring to the Callander and Oban Railway, with its Branch to Ballachulish from Connel Bridge which closed in 1966, incidentally this was to poor patronage rather than to do with Beeching!

Edit, we were typing at the same time!

Edited: 08 October 2017, 18:09
Mentioned in this post
Callander
Callander
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Ballachulish
Ballachulish
Glencoe, UK
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Yes! We are hopping on the ScotRail however their website only lets you book 3 months in advance from what I can tell. I’ve got buy ScotRail tix and apply for marriage visitor visa on the list for th end of December!

I would LOVE any info you want to share about the rules/laws of getting married on Skye. I know we need the visa, marriage license from the registrar and a celebrant.

I’ve been to the UK visa website and the highland council to read up on stuff. But, any info is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

3 months is adequate for booking the tickets, so no rush, even 3-4 weeks is plenty!

Remember to take advantage of the cheapest fares its a “advance single” you are looking for, what that means is once you book a particular train, your ticket is only valid for that train, no other, so firm up all other plans first!

I’ve no idea what the rules are regarding Foreigners getting Married, all I know is there is some planning involved and some form filling, google it.

You have another thread re Glasgow! How is your whole trip looking?

It’s just that you could travel from Inverness or Skye to Glasgow just as easy Edinburgh!

Edited: 08 October 2017, 20:21
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Transportation choices to Edinburgh

Another poster mentioned “wedding rules/laws”

maybe it was on different thread. 😁 our plans are coming along pretty well! Now that we have the shell built with air, car and hotel. Next we will be working on exactly what sites or things we want to do most. We will be there for 3 weeks with a full week in Skye and the other time will be Dublin initially then Inverness, Skye, Edinburgh, Glasgow and back to Dublin.

It’s all very exciting. Thanks again to everyone!!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh