We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

rochester, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

I am packing now and think I can get away with a heavy raincoat w/fleece under it rather than wearing my down winter coat. Looks like Ireland had a mild winter so hoping it will stay mild til the end of March when we leave. Still bringing a warm hat, gloves, and scarf though. Is that ok?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

Hailstoned intermittent with sunshine on Wednesday, Bright and sunny yesterday. Soft today. temperatures are mainly mild but cool at night. As I have said before coming from NY you will be fine. I have yet to wear my winter coat since January 2011.

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

Lots of input on this recent thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k52018…

I know last year, we had a fabulous week of weather, and I am hoping the same holds true when we go back next week. We will be cycling, and even though I am used to Illinois weather (windy, ever-changing), I plan to have a 2-3 layer approach myself.

Enjoy your trip!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

There is no basis for this assumption only "my mother has always said... " (and of course she is NEVER wrong!!!)

If March starts off mild and calm it will end wild and blustery and vice versa, if it starts wild it will end mild. Going by my mothers logic the end of March this year will be windy and rainy. My birthday is in the middle of March and I remember my 6th birthday very well... I built a snowman.

Raincoat + fleece + warm jumpers + long sleeve tee shirts. Hat and scarf and gloves a good idea too. Plus a large bag to put them all in when the sun comes out and my advice goes south... :-)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

I would def leave the down coat at home! - the raincoat w/fleece should be the most you'll need.

@ hat, scarf, gloves - bring these along if planning on walking or hiking. I'm going to Ireland in 1+ week, and I'm bringing these items - will be windy where I'm going.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

Yes definitely a light rain coat, fleece, middle layer and some Under Armour as base layers. And never leave home without a hat or gloves.

I hike, and I too haven't used my biggest downiest North Face jacket since spring 2011.

It's 10 deg this morning.

Going hiking! B

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

The only time I went to Ireland without my thinsulate hat(it was August) I ended up buying another one, I cant see without it.

rochester, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

Thanks all for your input. Feel better now knowing that "layering" is the way to go. Sad if looks like rain for St. Patrick's Day, but it won't put a damper on the parade or festivities. 4 more days til we leave, YEAH!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

We were in Killarney at the end of March last year & for the first 4 days we were able to do without coats during the day time,it was glorious,hoping for more of the same in a couple of weeks!

Haines City, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

Hello, I am going to Ireland in April at the the end actually, and I was wondering what to pack. I live in central Florida and already bought a winter coat for this trip, because according to my husband I will freeze to death. I also bought sherpa lined shoes and boots. Am I over dressing, or prepared? Anyone who has been there or lives there with any insight on how the weather will be would be great, thank you

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Raincoat w/fleece or winter coat for 3/14 to 3/29?

The end of April is usually warm, often sunny, often dry. Our wedding anniversary is the first week in May, so I remember these things!!! In almost 25 years of being married to each other (we reach the magic number in a few weeks time) we've had possibly 3 days when the sun hasn't been shining or it hasn't been warm.

Have you got the receipt for the coat still? Because I'd suggest you return it. Or else keep it for another holiday here ;o)