We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork Itinerary May 13-16

Level Contributor
16 posts
Cork Itinerary May 13-16

Hi All!

Thanks so much for helping me earlier to find a place. I have a reservation in Cork City (solo traveler), still might change up the exact location, but at least I have a reservation. As with all trips, I have had to significantly pare down my hopes for what to achieve. How does this sound? Is it a bad idea to rely on public transit? Am I missing a really must see location? I will plan the exact sites later, so any suggestions on that are welcome. Would also be interested if in cases of options, one bus route is better than another for scenery and/or reliability. I am interested in Irish life current and past, historical sites, literature and nature (so, way too much).

May 13: Flight arrives in Dublin around 7am. Get bus to Heuston and take train to Cork. Arrive around 12:30ish. See if I can check into hotel. If not, leave bag. Try to stay awake and see at least Shandon Bells & Tower, soak up the local culture and have a pub meal. Get to bed early.

May 14: Get up and have breakfast take off via public bus for trip going to Bandon and Clonakilty and then back (planning to leave 8:30-10am). I had originally wanted to get to Bantry and/or Baltimore, but they seem too far to get to by public transport. Is it a bad idea to rely on public transport for this? Is there a day tour I should take instead (I have never taken a day tour before, but open to the idea).

May 15: Have breakfast, head to Cobh. For train to and from and time in Cobh, planning on 5-6 hours. Hope to have the rest of the day/evening to see more things in Cork.

May 16: Have breakfast and maybe catch a thing or two I didn't see or have a walk around and then head to Dublin for 4 nights there.

Does this itinerary sound reasonable? I don't like to run around like a maniac, but I have never been to Ireland and want to see some things. I believe my ancestors are from the Cork area and may have lived near Bandon, Bantry, Baltimore and Cobh. I would also be really interested in some kind of a boat tour if that is possible. I know there are some from Cobh, are there any right in Cork? Seems like the water is right there.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
68 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

In general, public transport will be fine. It struggles with some coastal and mountainous areas, but by and large you can get where you want with it. Some of the more infrequent services are timed to get students and workers into the city rather than tourists out.

The first thing I’d say is consider getting a direct bus from Dublin Airport. Although I prefer train travel, it’s just easier and faster than getting across to Heuston with luggage.

Bantry and Baltimore are quite easy to reach by public transport (you’ll have to change in Skibbereen for Baltimore). The problem is largely getting around when you are there. That’s not so much of an issue in Baltimore where you need a ferry to get to the islands anyway.

In terms of scenery, there’s not usually much of a choice of routes anyway. From Clonakilty to Cork, you could use LocalLink route 253 to Kinsale and then the 226 service from there to Cork. It would be slower and more expensive than the direct bus route, but would get you more on the coast.

For boat tours, there’s Cork Harbour Cruises. If you are visiting Spike Island as part of your trip to Cobh, you’ll need to take a ferry anyway. If you go to Baltimore, there are ferries to Sherkin and Clear Islands (pre-COVID there was also Heir island and a ferry to Schull via Clear Island, but I don’t know if they’ll ever come back) And there are tours of Roaringwater Bay or Whale Watching tours.

Edited: 04 March 2024, 07:47
Level Contributor
16 posts
2. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

Thanks, @blackgreen! Another update. I am now considering staying in Clonakilty instead of Cork because it is less than half the price and more "in between" Bantry on the one side and Cork/Cobh on the other. I haven't decided yet, but thoughts welcome! I have reservations in both places and trying to decide.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
68 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

The challenge there is Clonakilty to Bantry by public transport. That is not easy.

Although it’s not usually a town I send tourists to stay in, Bandon has direct links to both.

Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

Thanks, @blackgreen. I see what you mean after trying to map it out about getting from Clonakilty to other places. I am still trying to work it all out and I appreciate your help!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
208 reviews
148 helpful votes
5. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

I’d take the Aircoach bus from Dublin Airport straight to Cork. It was inexpensive and fast. WiFi in the bus and phone charging ports.

Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: Cork Itinerary May 13-16

Unfortunately, I have had to cancel this trip. The flight schedule changed in a way that made the trip even more difficult, and I did not feel like I would be able to see and do what I wanted to with the public transportation options available. Given the expense of the trip, it seemed best try at a different time. Thanks for all the help, I am going to use the info to plan a family trip with a car in the future.

Reply to: Cork Itinerary May 13-16
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.