We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Sky Garden Crater

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Sky Garden Crater

Any information on this place? I saw that a picture from here was one of the top photos of 2012 so far & have never heard of this place, even on this forum.

lissardestate.com/liss-ard-gardens.html

The picture I saw is the one in the link above. Is this worth seeing?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

Here's where I originally saw this photo:

twistedsifter.com/2012/…

Does anyone know where this actually is. I can't find it using Google Maps.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

On Google maps search for Liss Ard House, Skibbereen. I found it that way. About 2km south of Skibbereen you will see a small Lake and the crater can be clearly seen due west of this lake.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, I had niever heard of Liss Ard and the crater previously. Something for my to do list.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

Okay I see it now. Don't know why I couldn't see it before, maybe I was zoomed in too close.

Anyway, is this an attraction tied in with this "resort" or is it open to anyone. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's seen it whether it's worth the time or if it's just a tourist trap type of thing.

It says it's on the original site of an ancient ring fort but is there any real historical significance or is this a case of an artist desecrating a relatively minor historical site to make a tourist attraction?

Not really a lot of information anywhere online.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 03:35
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,411 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

My money's on this: "a case of an artist desecrating a relatively minor historical site to make a tourist attraction?"

However I will check it out next time in the Skibbereen area.

cork
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

Hi Keith,

I've been to the sky garden a number of times. The last time was 2 years ago so I was surprised to see in the link you posted that it's now €5. It was always free, you just parked in the car park and put a donation in a box if you wanted to and walked off into the gardens and woods. It certainly wasn't a big tourist attraction/ trap. In fact it wasn't and still isn't widely advertised and not terribly well known about even in Cork !

Is it worth visiting ? That really depends on where your interests lie. The sky garden is just one part of a large natural garden / woodland estate. I used to go there for the peace and tranquility and to take in the many trails. It's not a gardens of well laid out manacured flower beds, more a get back to real nature type of place. As for the crater itself, I remember being amazed first time I saw it, it is something completely different. Not as big maybe as it looks in the photos but again it's what your into. It was , when you could go there alone, a great place to lie back and meditate and look at the sky ! If you're going to be in West Cork it's worth seeing but probably not worth travelling for miles and miles if you don't intend being in the area anyway.

If this is the kind of thing you like I suggest a trip to Liss ard followed by the short journey to Lough Hyne then a ferry from Baltimore to Cape Clear Island. You won't find yourself any closer to nature .

I hope this helps.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 04:57
cork
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

I've just seen Bryno's post. It is true thats it's a artistic installation on a historical / natural site but seeing as it's been free for years up to now I really don't believe there were any commercial motives involved in creating it. My feeling is that it was created to go along with the ethos of the place, a place to relax and be with nature. It's very unobtrusive, you won't know it's there until you're actually in it.

I suspect the estate is under new management now as the whole family holiday thing to my knowledge is new and maybe this is why they're now charging to see the crater. Pity.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

Thanks for the info puntospilot.

It seems kind of odd that this place has been there for awhile & all of a sudden a picture arises being declared a top photo of 2012 & there is no information anywhere about this place, especially since this was obviously a promotional photo that comes right off this website.

You're probably right about new management or more likely a new approach by management to get the word out for this "resort" property.

Is there any explanation on site about the ring fort that it is built on or is the tour all about this artistic endeavour? Did they even have the tour last time you were there? I'm guessing not.

cork
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

No, the tour seems to be a new thing. I first discovered Liss Ard in 1998 when there was a boutique music festival held there. It was held for 3 years between 1997 and 1999 but stopped then. Co-incidently it has started again adding to the theory that there is new managment or a change of direction. http://www.lissardfestival.com/

So the sky garden was there at that stage but I don't know how many years earlier it was built . Back then it was known as the Liss ard foundation and as best as I can recall it was bought as a long term project by a wealthy conservationist/ environmentalist to create a natural garden with minimal interference by man. Actually just found this : www.hotpress.ie/news/ARD-AGAIN-/521322.html

As for the ring fort, I don't remember seeing it and I've been there a few times since but many of these forts are easily missed if you don't know what you're looking for. I seriously doubt if the sky garden was built on it. Ring forts would be protected structures and it would be illegal anyway to destroy one but in view of the whole ethos of Liss Ard doing any damage to a ring fort would go totally against what they're doing.

If you're interested in Ring Forts there are many in West Cork, Drombeg in Glandore being the best known, a 15 minute drive from Liss ard and another in Castletownshend 5 minutes away.

cork
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

Correction : Drombeg is a stone circle not a Ring Fort. Apologies.

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Sky Garden Crater

I met someone this summer who is a guide there but ran out of time to visit myself. There was a music festival there at the end of July. The crater is man made and this is what the guided tour concentrates on.