We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Gallery of Ireland

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Topic
National Gallery of Ireland

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a long weekend in Dublin and want very much to visit the National Gallery. I undertand it has an amazing collection of Italian renaissance art. We just got back from Florence - I'm hooked!

Can anyone share their experiences/opinons of the National Gallery and its collection? Also, where would we go to see Irish art from the same period?

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Gallery of Ireland

Hello-

We visited Ireland last month and did a quick tour through the National Gallery. It is a smaller museum, maybe 3 floors plus some offside galleries, nice high ceilings and good lighting.

We only had an hour before they closed, so walked through all the rooms and there are a few things that stand out in my mind:

- nice collection of Jack Yeats paintings featured in their own gallery

- there was a Monet I have never seen before as well as a few picasso and maybe a seurat? The 3rd floor is what I prefer

- the main gallery when you walk in has landscapes and portraits from...oh, maybe late 19th early 20th century, I think they were most if not all Irish artists and scenes.

- they do have a triptychs and religious works - but we kind of rushed through that section to get to the more modern works

Only thing to note, the gift shop and cafe closes before the museum, but there are benches in that area which can substitute for a meeting location.

Enjoy!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Gallery of Ireland

http://www.nationalgallery.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: National Gallery of Ireland

I would just add that the national gallery is a great trip to make. It has a few too many portrait and "filler" paintings for most people's taste but it's still well worth visiting for some of the paintings already described.

It also has a very nice Carravagio with an interesting story behind it. As well as the Jack Yeats section already described, there is also an entire section devoted to Irish art of recent times (not quite modern)

And one of the best things about the gallery, like all the national galleries and museums, it's completely free!

Edited: 07 November 2010, 15:08
4. Re: National Gallery of Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 00:16