We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Seguin
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

My daughter and her fiance are going on a honeymoon to Europe. They are actually taking a cruise through Italy and Greece. They have 3 days before the cruise begins, and they want to go to either Ireland or Edinburgh. What are your thoughts? If Ireland, where should they go? (I'm assuming they would fly into Dublin). I know that's not very long to see either place. Any advice, please help. They will be married in late May if the time of the year makes a difference. Thanks

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,256 Reviews
from US$53.00*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,046 Reviews
from US$76.50*
Best Seller
Book of Kells Early Access Tour with...
253 Reviews
from US$57.70*
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,607 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

I'd really suggest they give this some more thought, I'm not sure it's really workable to stop off in Ireland or Scotland on the way to...where, exactly? Rome?

I'd be concerned that they wouldn't have enough time to see much of anything. With most cruise experts recommending planning to arrive in port the day before a cruise departs and not "day of", would that still give them any time at all in Ireland or Scotland before going off to Italy or wherever the cruise begins?

If they have an extra 3 days in Europe I'd recommend one of the larger cities with more transportation options to Rome. Somewhere like London or Paris would be better suited for a short stopover in my opinion.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,011 posts
389 reviews
2. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Is their joining port Civitavecchia by any chance. If so, I have a great option for them !! Let me know.

Seguin
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Actually their port is in Barcelona. They really want to go to Dublin or Edinburgh. They will be there 3 nights. Any suggestions.

Edited: 04 November 2010, 08:55
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
226 reviews
4. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Hi Texasgal

If they decide on Dublin have a read through the top questions about Dublin on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum page - you'll get lots and lots of ideas for ways to spend their visit in Dublin. After you've had a look at that come back and post if you have any more questions.

There are direct flights between Dublin and Barcelona with both Aer Lingus and Ryanair. If they are taking one of these flights they need to be careful about baggage allowances and that they read all the terms and conditions of travel.

www.aerlingus.com

www.ryanair.com

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
226 reviews
5. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Texasgal - I should also have said that you should post on the Edinburgh Scotland forum for ideas about Edinburgh, which is indeed a great place to visit too!

They should have a look to see about flights from Edinburgh to Barcelona as with such a short visiting time - they would probably need to get direct flights and this might be a huge factor in making their decision.

Congratutions on the upcoming wedding.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,011 posts
389 reviews
6. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Dublin would be nice for two days and it's easy to get to Barcelona from there. I still agree with what Irishfan said - concentrate on Europe and make a longer trip to Ireland - for 1st anniversary of course !!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
667 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

They would be able to get a good feel for Dublin and a few of the towns north and south on the DART. It is enough time for an introduction that will make them want to return!! We love it.

We have done a stopover in Dublin twice...once on the way to Paris and once on the way to Bologna, Italy. Aer Lingus did the ticketing...very smooth and no problems. I am sure they would have a flight to Barcelona.

Seguin
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Thank you so much. That's great advice. I think they are going to try to do Dublin for 3 nights:)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
667 posts
64 reviews
9. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Dubfam commented that you need to watch luggage allowances on Aer Lingus and possibly so. But, unless there have been changes in the past year, we did not have to worry about the allowances since we booked everthing from Chicago and back. At that time the allowances did not apply to those flying from USA...even on connecting flights. Something to check out.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
271 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: honeymooners trip somewhere in Ireland or Edinburgh

Don't get me wrong because I love Ireland but why don't they spend the three days in Barcelona? The last time that I took a cruise out of BCN I went a few days early to get over the jet lag and casually took in some of the fab sights of the city. Save Ireland for at least a week!