We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in city or near airport

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in city or near airport

We will be flying into Dublin on an overnight flight from Chicago. My mother-in-law (84 years young!) will be with us,

We plan only one night in Dublin, then we'll head to the southwest for the rest of our Irish vist. We will be renting a car to head for the west, but aren't sure if we need it that first day. (Any suggestions here would be most appreciated!) Also, we'd really like to find a place to stay with early check-in, where Mom could get some rest and adjust to the time change. We would like to do a bit of sight-seeing in the city--probably Trinity College Library and one of the cathedrals (possibly Guiness as well). Would it be better to stay near airport, in the city or somewhere in-between. Also, does anyone know of a place that offers early check-in?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in city or near airport

My theory and personal feeling is that if Dublin is just an acclimatisation day. No late night city scene planned then just stay out by the airport where you will be picking up the hire car the following morning. Most airport Hotels have 24hr check in/out and even if paying extra for early check in might be a better price than some city centre hotels.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Thanks so much. Knowing 24-hour check in is available is a great help!

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in city or near airport

I'm going to suggest that you stay in the city centre (sorry Tony). If you are only staying for a short period, I think you would be better to base yourselves in a central location. it also might be easier on your MIL as she might have a convenient base to rest if her energy levels flag before yours.

There's a good range of hotels in central Dublin in a range of prices. As Trinity College and one of the cathedrals are on your agenda, I'd look at hotels such as Jurys Inn at Christchurch or Brooks in Drury Street - though these are only two of a wide range. I don't know of these hotels facilitate early check in - maybe contact them directly on this matter.

As you note, you won't need a car in Dublin, so I'd defer hiring until day 2 when you plan to leave. You can get to downtown Dublin from the airport in about 30-40 minutes by taxi or airport coach. Taxi would cost about €35-30 and coach about €6-7 per person (depending on coach service used which in turn may be dependent on the hotel location.)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in city or near airport

The point of a forum is to get as many views as possible, my views are often outside the box.

This site gives a list and booking facility for hotels with 24hr check in all over Dublin.

wotif.com/hotels/ireland-dublin-24hr-check-i…

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Thanks so much--I'll put that site to good use!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Thanks for the information about taxis and coaches!

Okeechobee,Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in city or near airport

I`m going with Tony, public transportation is great in Dublin and there is probably a bus stop right outside the hotel. You don`t have to take the baggage very far, you can check in take a bus into Dublin,( it `s a quick trip) and it`s easier getting out of Dublin if you leave from the airport. Another suggestion is if you`re going to the west I`d try to fly out of Shannon.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Thanks ErininOkeechobee!

We are touring the west part of Ireland, and then planning to fly out of Shannon to London (for a family wedding). I do appreciate the tip about quick bus trips into Dublin city.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Be Aware that short flights between Ireland and the UK have strict baggage policies so you might have to pack a little lighter than normal.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in city or near airport

Thanks so much for that tip. I'll check with Aer Lingus!