We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

My sister and I will be staying at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt hotel July 5 & 6 and will be driving to Killarney. What is the best route to take? Are there certain "must sees" on the route? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get to Ireland!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

Oh my, lucky you. You will want to visit Glendalough and Rock of Cashel. It may be advisable to visit Glendalough while staying at the Ritz. So many options you won't be able to do it all.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 19:30
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

Easiest route is to loop around Dublin on the N11/M11/M50 from Enniskerry and then head to Cork on the N7/M7/M8. You can stop to see the Rock of Cashel on the way. On Glendalough, I'd agree with Beamish - I'd visit while at the Ritz rather than trying to take it in on the way to Cork.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

http://www.powerscourt.ie/gardens

Don't forget to turn left as you leave your hotel and visit the above gardens.

4. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 February 2016, 18:30
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

Go to the AA route planner and put in Powerscourt, Wicklow and Killarney, Kerry, via Enniscorthy. http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#

This is definitely not motorway - good roads but varied. It takes longer, about 5 hours without stops. It does however take you through some interesting areas. You could stop off in New Ross and have a look at the Dunbrody famine ship (there is a nice cafe there too), you go round the edge of Waterford city (glass and history), Lismore and the Blackwater valley.

It is not the handiest for Cahir and Cashel, which I agree you should see, but there is enough on the way that you might consider breaking your journey and doing an overnight on the way.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 05:52
Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

The fastest way is the M7 to Limerick and continue down to Killarney, although the M8 until Cork might hold some nice surprises: a wee stop in Kilkenny, Cashel and Cork City would be highly recommended! It's gonna be a paronamic drive for sure!

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

A little tip...if you decide to visit Glendalough while staying at the Ritz (which is what we did) there is a fantastic little cafe that serves great breakfast or lunch on the way. Sugar Mountain Cafe & Bistro by a golf course (sorry can't remember the name). We ended up going back there several times. Service and food were great at very reasonable prices.

8. Re: Best driving route from Ritz Powerscourt to Killarney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:40