We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

My husband and I are taking our 20yr old daughter to Ireland for the first time. We plan to spend two nights in Galway and want to be walking distance to restaurants, pubs, shops, nightlife etc. It has been 20 years since we have been there and want to show our daughter the true flavor of Ireland. Which area is better, West End or Latin Quarter? Considering Airbnb booking. Planning three nights in Dublin. Is there a hip neighborhood we should consider in Dublin?

13 replies to this topic
Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

I'd go with Galway's West End but it's all of a three-minute walk from the Latin Quarter. Much more of a local feel around Galway's West End and I personally prefer the bars there too: The Crane Bar, Massimo, Bierhaus, Monroe's, Roisin Dubh and the Salt House.

http://www.galwayswestend.com/

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
2. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

This decent hotel is a short walk away.

www.harbour.ie/

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

Following this discussion

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

Can’t imagine it would get quiet enough to sleep very well in the Latin Quarter so I would definitely recommend the West End, plus it’s about a 4 minute walk away, enjoy your stay

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

Do you think it’s possible to just find a place to stay at the last minute in Galway? We have a few places booked in advance, about half of our nights, throughout Ireland as we drive, but I didn’t want to have a strict schedule and have to have every night booked someplace. Galway is something we could stay for two or three nights but we have no advance bookings. How hard would it be to find something in the west end on our day of arrival? Any tips?

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

I will be curious to hear the responses to your question. I think it depends on when you visit. We will be there at end of August which I understand to be peak season. I don't want to arrive and be stressed about finding a good place to stay so we went ahead an booked an apartment in airbnb. If you are a couple and only need one room I would guess it would be easier to find a suitable place. I am curious too!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

We are going to be there mid August and yes, just the two of us! We wanted to leave some parts of our trip open to adventure so that’s why we hadn’t booked anything, I just hope we are making a mistake!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

keeks2320. When you say, quite enough, is it situated in a noisy area. In a Night club/Bars, area. As a Elderly person, I would like somewhere Central, but safe, and quiet?? Thanks keeks2320

Edited: 11 July 2018, 02:08
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
133 reviews
9. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

If you want to stay in central Galway for several nights in peak season then you must book in advance. Galway is crazy in July and August. I once had to find a room in Galway in early September and it took us two hours.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,970 posts
10. Re: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway

If the worst comes to the worst, there's lots of B&B's with parking on College Road.

Reply to: West End or Latin Quarter for two night stay in Galway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted