We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Galway base

Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
511 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Galway base

We will be in Galway for 2 nights. On our 2nd day we would like to try to get tickets to Joyce sheepdog demonstrations, we also would like to see Kylemore Abbey, Connemara Park, Sky Road to Clifden and Rounstone. Is this an over ambitious day trip on our 2nd full day in Ireland? Any other suggestions along this route and a good stop off for lunch?

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Kylemore
Kylemore
301 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Sky Road
Sky Road
1,785 Reviews
Clifden, Ireland
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
9 replies to this topic
boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Galway base

What time of year are you visiting? If you are visiting in summer you will have longer daylight hours. Joyce's Sheep farm is off the beaten track so it will take you a good hour by car to get there from Galway City. They're located in a beautiful scenic area. You could do the early sheep dog demonstration then head to Leenane and on to Kylemore Abbey. Kylemore has a good restaurant for your lunch stop. Connemara Park is just a few miles down the road from Kylemore. After that drive to Clifden and the Sky Road. That will be quite a full day. I don't think you will have time for Roundstone that same day.

Mentioned in this post
Galway City Hostel
Galway City Hostel
192 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Sky Road
Sky Road
1,785 Reviews
Clifden, Ireland
Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Galway base

Thanks Herr - we are traveling next month (August), that’s what I thought regarding Roundstone another trip I suppose!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Galway base

The bar menu in here might fit the bill for lunch.

www.loughinaghlodgehotel.ie/

Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Galway base

My Lord, the bar menu looks grande! Adding it to our google map route thank you.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Galway base

It does look truly wonderful!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Galway base

Its not too ambitious. But anytime you put something into a schedule that has a set time attached like the sheep dog demonstration you have to work everything else around that set point.

The Lunch point will depend on how you work the day. There is a good Cafe in the National park visitors centre, I generally have lunch in The Village Grill, Leenane whilst clients are in the Sheep and Wool centre there. Of course Walshes Cafe in Clifden or Mannions Bar are good and if including Roundstone there are good options there. Its all about your route and timings, really easy to over run a schedule so build in some wobble time.

Mentioned in this post
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Mannions Bar
Mannions Bar
527 Reviews
Clifden, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Galway base

If you factor in the 11 am demonstration. Head from Galway, 8.30 am via Cong. for 30 minutes and you should be at Joyce's for 10.30. 12.30 head to Leenane have lunch maybe the Sheep and Wool centre. Then Kylemore Abbey for an hour, followed by the Connemara National Park. By this time it is going to be possibly 4 pm or later when you get past the Sky Rd Viewing point and into Clifden.

From Clifden you can decide whether to head to Roundstone. I would go over the Bog Rd to Cashel, down to Roundstone possible evening meal then Dogs bay and back to Clifden, return to Galway along the N59 possibly calling at Derryclare Lough for a photo of Pine Island, Joyces Gift shop and the Connemara Giant and at Maam Cross decide whether to continue along the 59 which I would do or drop down round and follow the bay into the City,

There is a reason I always take 2 days for Conemara, a day to Clifden and a day back

https://goo.gl/maps/mw4BbJ9FN4o

Edited: 13 July 2018, 07:32
Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Cong
Cong
County Mayo, Ireland
Connemara National Park & Visitor Centre
Connemara National Park...
3,400 Reviews
Galway, Ireland
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Cashel
Cashel
County Tipperary, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Rhode Island, USA
Level Contributor
511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Galway base

Thank you Tony, I do wish we had more time to explore in this area. We do have a full day planned to explore the region and do not want to pack too much in.

I heard from Joe Joyce and he said to drop in any of the presentation times so I’m happy to hear. We will do the11am dhow. I’m sure we will find a proper meal or may be full from our Irish breakfast and stop off for an early dinner.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Galway base

Leenane is beautiful and lunch at Delphi is fantastic. The views are spectacular.

If it's a beach day, Dogs Bay in Roundstone is beautiful. Westport of also suitable for day trips

Mentioned in this post
Westport
Westport
County Mayo, Ireland
Reply to: Day trips from Galway base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted