We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?

Do you think it’s possible to find a place to stay for 2 adults at the last minute in Galway? We have a few places booked in advance, about half of our nights, throughout Ireland as we drive, but I didn’t want to have a strict schedule and have to have every night booked someplace. Galway is someplace we could stay for two or three nights but we have no advance bookings. How hard would it be to find something in the west end on our day of arrival? Any tips? I posted this in someone else thread a few days ago but thought posting my own question might get better visibility, thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?

Although the races and arts festival will be over by mid-August, I'd still recommend booking in Galway City.

If it's Galway County you're looking at, you will generally find something if you are prepared to drive on and keep asking, but it is likely to be either a place you don't want or at a price you don't want.

Could you leave it til a day or two out and use an app to check on what is available.

Edited: 13 July 2018, 07:00
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,249 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?

If you want 1 night mid week for a couple who only want a bed for the night somewhere in Galway, fine, no problem. If you want 2 nights then it gets tighter and if there is a Friday or Saturday in there tighter still then a 3rd night you are pushing it. Now go back to the 1 night midweek and wanting one of the better known locations or higher rated accommodation and you are at the same point of wanting 3 nights. To be honest if you want mid August you could be having a problem finding somewhere now.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?

That’s a good idea About checking a day or two ahead with an app. I just didn’t want to have every night of our trip booked which doesn’t allow for spontaneous adventuring and what you might just happen upon. Of course I know then you’re taking a risk that what you happen upon may not be what you want!

Reply to: Need to book ahead in Galway in mid-August?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations