We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

I'm very unhappy to find out that we only have from 12-2 pm in Kilkenny as part of a CIE bus tour on Sat. Aug. 19. I love to take photos and want to see as much as possible in our limited time. I'm wondering if this google maps route I've put together (1.7 miles, 34 min without stops) is at all realistic to get done in 2 hours to include taking pics of the castle's exterior from the gardens and Nore River bridge, taking part of the canal walk, walking down St. Kieran St. and cutting through the Butter Slip (google maps has this wrong--what address on St. Kieran St. should I put in?), and quickly touring the interiors of St. Mary's, Black Abbey (closed from 2-3) and St. Canice's Cathedrals along with climbing the tower. If not, how should I modify it?

There's supposed to be a giant inflatable sculpture that you can walk through on the castle grounds as part of the final day of the Kilkenny Arts Festival? Will this obstruct the photos I hope to get of the castle from the gardens?

Do you have any idea where our tour bus might drop us off at?

My husband won't be happy at the idea of skipping lunch altogether. Is there a small grocery store or deli along this route that I could quickly run in and pick up some sandwiches to go?

Thanks a lot for your help.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kilkenny+Castle,+The+Parade,+Collegepark,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/Canal+Walk,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/79+High+St,+Co.+Kilkenny,+R95+F640,+Ireland/Saint+Mary's+Cathedral,+James's+St,+Gardens,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/The+Black+Abbey,+Abbey+Sq,+Abbey+Street,+Gardens,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/Rothe+House,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/St+Canice's+Cathedral,+The+Close,+Coach+Rd,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/National+Craft+Gallery,+Castle+Yard,+Kilkenny,+Ireland/@0,-7.0770023,NaNa,44.4y,328.63h,116.92t/am=t/data=!4m51!4m50!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d309fab5b17f1:0xc8f26be8f2218948!2m2!1d-7.2492979!2d52.6504624!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d30a197a28485:0x3dfe1b764cced5d5!2m2!1d-7.2493089!2d52.6508845!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d309e1cefb64b:0xe83c855db7e7b5cb!2m2!1d-7.253041!2d52.6521796!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d3a7627d391bd:0x998b2dbcaacda000!2m2!1d-7.2571763!2d52.6523831!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d3a75d655efa9:0xffbdcbd9d108bee7!2m2!1d-7.257644!2d52.6539652!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d3a767f153bed:0xbd8af8be8fa526a3!2m2!1d-7.254954!2d52.654709!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d3a76c2687907:0x9ad4a53e74f31c3c!2m2!1d-7.2572254!2d52.6566761!1m5!1m1!1s0x485d309f077e2479:0x5a484774007f9e78!2m2!1d-7.2498292!2d52.649574!3e2!4e1

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Butter Slip
Butter Slip
226 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
St Mary's
St Mary's
Isles of Scilly, UK
Black Abbey
Black Abbey
476 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Kilkenny Castle
Kilkenny Castle
5,247 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
11 replies to this topic
Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

If the grounds of the Kilkenny Castle have some roses; please stop to smell them. Your plan for the 2 hours in Kilkenny sound like a marathon; There is a food court in the design center across the street from the castle. There is no way you will be able to see all that you've listed. Chose one other....I suggest St Canice a brisk walk along High St

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny Castle
Kilkenny Castle
5,247 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
19,713 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

Sorry, You need to pick & choose what you really want to see...There was a line both times when I went to St. Canice's tower..

Please check link below for St.Canice's Visitor info, including times.

stcanicescathedral.ie/visitors-information-p…

Lovely suggestion from Sissy for the Design Centre cafe...You might consider bringing a small little foldable cooler? Find a place to pick-up snack food prior to your tour..Perhaps fruit, bread, cheese, biscuits & water..

Good luck with your list.

Kesh_grammy

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

"Do you have any idea where our tour bus might drop us off at?"

I was in Kilkenny last week. Tour buses were dropping off/parking on Castle Road, along from the Castle, outside the line of the original city walls.

" ... cutting through the Butter Slip ..."

The Butter Slip runs between St.Kieran Street and High Street - both part of the recommended "Medieval Mile" circuit - and, being a narrow pedestrian passageway, inaccessible to motorised vehicles, is unlikely to appear on Google Earth.

Maps of the city, showing the Medieval Mile and places one may visit en route are freely obtainable from the Tourist Information office - upstairs in the Shee Alms House on Rose Inn Street,which is downhill from The Parade (where the entrance to the Castle is situated) then turn right at the crossroads.

Most of the places that you wish to photograph are in the area furthest from the Coach parking street.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Butter Slip
Butter Slip
226 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

" ... Is there a small grocery store or deli along this route that I could quickly run in and pick up some sandwiches to go?"

Dunnes Stores, on St. Kieran Street has a grocery section to the right of the entrance with snacks and drinks available nearest the "quick" checkout at the very back. The frontage is extensive, more or less opposite the Butter Slip, and can hardly be missed.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

Thanks for the replies. I checked google maps for where the tour buses park and it could be at least a few more blocks to walk depending on how far away we have to park. Can you buy premade sandwiches "to go" at the Design Center to save time? Is food ordered like in a cafeteria? To save time should I realize I won't have time to take a bunch of photos and just skip the canal walk altogether and hurry to St. Canice's Cathedral? Would you choose touring the inside of the cathedral over the inside of the castle?

NC
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

I've learned that I'd much rather spend more time at fewer things and come away with a better understanding/appreciation. I've also learned that map distances are deceiving and don't allow for the inevitable wrong turns (often with pleasant results).

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

"Can you buy premade sandwiches "to go" at the Design Center to save time?"

The café was upstairs at the Design Centre and sounded very busy around noon so I did not investigate. More usefully, if one goes through the archway, there are a few benches and a clean unisex public toilet to the right (20 cents).

""To save time should I realize I won't have time to take a bunch of photos and just skip the canal walk altogether and hurry to St. Canice's Cathedral? "

Unless the canal walk is your top priority, yes, it makes sense to head for the furthest attraction on your list then work your way back to the coach, taking in as many items on your list as time allows (keep an eye on your watch!).

"Would you choose touring the inside of the cathedral over the inside of the castle?"

Regrettably, I did not have sufficient time to do justice to either - I am in complete agreement with fishingcarlos (#6) over allocation of limited time - so this is entirely up to you.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

If I only had two hours in Kilkenny, I would simply walk from the bus into the Castle Park, have a leisurely lunch in the open air café in the shadow of the castle enjoying the ambience and watching the people pass by. Then stroll around the whole of the outside of the castle. One Hour. Then stroll down the Parade and up High street as far as Rothe House taking in the Mediaeval buildings and street plan. Turn left up New Building Lane and take a look in the Black Abbey. Then back the way you came. On the way down High Street, when you get to Winstons store continue walking down Kieran Street past Kytelers Inn. The two slips (Market and Butter) run between Kieran and High Street. When you reach the end of Kieran Street turn right up Rose Inn Street, then left back on to the Parade. (One Hour).

This is enough. Take your time and relax. Kilkenny is all about relaxing and taking in the atmosphere. St. Canice's Cathedral is worth seeing and you could go there instead of the Black Abbey, walking faster.

Edited: 14 July 2017, 17:48
Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Black Abbey
Black Abbey
476 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Kyteler's Inn
Kyteler's Inn
2,185 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

A few weeks back, I passed where the buses park. It can be quite a distance from the centre of the city if the place is busy . Less is more .

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?

fishingcarlos and irishrover: I know you're right about spending more time on less things but my brain doesn't work that way. It goes into OCD mode on trips which means wanting to see it all in the likely event I don't make it back to a place. Needless to say, my DH doesn't like traveling with me for that very reason.

Reply to: Only 2 hours in Kilkenny--is this doable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted