We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whiskey shop?

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Whiskey shop?

Does anyone know of a whiskey shop in or around Kilkenny that will ship to the States?

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
12 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whiskey shop?

Try whiskeytrail.ie/listings/…

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whiskey shop?

Likely it is legally impossible or highly impractical. Liquor import to the US is strictly regulated and also a state/territory matter. An Irish liquor shop getting approval to direct ship from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in addition to licensed as a distributor in 50+ states and territories is not going to happen. Even Jameson doesn't ship their collectors editions to US consumers.

You of course can carry as much is practical with you, possibly subject to duty if you exceed your 1 liter duty free allowance - but that is only about $3 per liter (80 proof).

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whiskey shop?

Tony, thanks a million! I somehow missed this distillery while looking into Kilkenny. We will definitely take this tour. I'm also looking for a shop where I can buy a variety of whiskey that is not available or hard to get in the states. Something along the lines of the Celtic Whiskey shop in Dublin...

Tevv, Celtic whiskey shop ships to the U.S. I shipped home several bottles last year. They are located in Dublin but unfortunately we won't be able to stop there before our flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Celtic Whiskey Shop
Celtic Whiskey Shop
164 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whiskey shop?

Also very close to Kilkenny is the new home of Irishman's whiskey and Writer's Tears.

http://walshwhiskey.com/

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whiskey shop?

I deliberately linked the distillery via the Irish Whiskey Trail web site you will find the pubs/shops with wider than normal ranges listed

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whiskey shop?

Just FYI, Maybe spirits can be shipped directly to consumers in Indiana, but I believe that is not legal in Michigan and other states.

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whiskey shop?

Yes we plan on visiting the distillery that makes Writers tears...roundstone I believe? I enjoyed Writers tears so much I came home with 3 bottles our last visit :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whiskey shop?

Writers Tears is produced at that distillery I linked above , definely Carlow made :)

Mentioned in this post
Carlow
Carlow
County Carlow, Ireland
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Whiskey shop?

Both Indiana and Michigan only allow direct shipment of wine direct to consumers.

ncsl.org/research/financial-services-and-com…

Seems that the Celtic Whiskey Shop is breaking US law. From their terms and conditions.

==================================

Important Information

We are happy to announce that we are now able to ship beyond the EU and are accepting orders to many international destinations including the US, Australia and the Far East.

Whilst we try to maintain a very high standard of service there is always an element of risk in sending alcohol overseas. Therefore we must warn our customers that there may be possibilities of customs chages or seizures when sending goods to certain countries. In the event of such charges or seizures we will not be able to offer any kind of compensation or refund.

We will label our goods in such a way to minimise any charges or seizures but in some cases they may be unavoidable. If you have any concerns regaring shipping to your country then we recommend contacting us first before placing an order.

=======================================

Sounds like they are improperly declaring it when shipping and hoping it slips past US Customs. If not your are out of luck and customs gets to keep your whiskey. You also may be committing a crime if you receive illegal alcohol or attempt to import it.

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whiskey shop?

Oh wow. Well that was last year.....I'll be sure to just get it from the off duty on our way out. Thanks

Reply to: Whiskey shop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;